With sincere apologies to the ladies

March 8, 2007 at 10:53 pm 14 comments

Apology to women button

As primarily former fundamentalist Christians, we’d like to personally apologize for our part in propagating the lie that women are second class citizens and subjected to the rule of men.

• We do not believe that women are cursed and that they are in any way to be ruled by men as a part of that curse.

Genesis 3:16 To the woman he said, “I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you.”

• We do not believe wives are to be submissive to their husbands but they are equal partners.

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

1 Peter 3:1 Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.

• We acknowledge that there is no hierarchy of God->Christ->Man->Woman as this scripture states. Men and women are equal.

1 Corinthians 11:3 Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

• We acknowledge that women are as intelligent as men and are not required to be submissive to men as this scripture states. We are thankful that the majority of churches ignore the “let women keep silent in the churches” instruction contained in this passage.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 Let women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.

• We acknowledge that there should be no religious restrictions as to how a woman should dress.

1 Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing.

With sincere apologies,
- The de-Convert (Enter your name here)

p.s. We’d like to encourage all former fundamentalist Christians to join us in apologizing to the ladies for participating in the subjection of women.

Happy International Women’s Day!!!

This is our participation in:
Blog Against Sexism Day

Entry filed under: The de-Convert. Tags: , , , , , , , .

Redemption A positive aspect of faith?

• 1. samanthamj  |  March 9, 2007 at 4:19 am

Apology accepted. thanks =) Now,,, if you could only get my old pastor, youth group leaders, and my own mother to repeat after you – I would truly be a less bitter woman. ;)

I distinctly remember reading bible verses like the ones you quote above. All the ladies in my church also all wore these lace doily things on their head. When I was about 14, my mother told me I needed to start wearing one too. It was to signify that women sinned first and needed something between them and God to pray – while men did not. Well, as a young girl with two older brothers that I was always trying to prove I was as an equal to – you can only imagine how well this went over with me…

• 2. stellar1  |  March 9, 2007 at 4:27 am

Funny, I too remember the day I was taught that I was lower than all the men in the world because Eve ate from the tree. I really wonder if every lady remembers the day she was taught that she was cursed by God?

• 3. Mickey  |  March 9, 2007 at 8:51 am

Lovely post, thank you!

This post needs wide circulation–to all the fundy sites!

• 4. mysteryofiniquity  |  March 9, 2007 at 12:31 pm

Thanks. I just had to delete a fundie man’s comments from my website because he was getting vicious and personal in his attacks.All because we didn’t believe what he was saying. I don’t get the hatred toward women in that. I appreciate your apology and accept it with blessings to you! :-)

• 5. stellasays  |  March 9, 2007 at 1:43 pm

The de-Convert,

I love this idea and put your button on my site for any guys who want to join your campaign. Way to go!

• 6. augustrose  |  March 10, 2007 at 4:57 am

Guys, the ladies appreciate your condolances but they’re not as needed as you think. That was the instruction for the church almost two thousand years ago. Don’t you think things have changed a bit? Not that we can vere from scripture in some instances but this one is based on the history of the church and events that were happening at the time.

The Bible isn’t a ball-and-chain Gospel and unfortunately many religious leaders haven’t had the insight to understand the proper way to present and in what context to deliver the true message.

God isn’t sexist. But He did organize things so that they could run in order. Do you have a problem that there’s a boss where you work? If you’re the boss do you have employees? Somebody is responsible.

The women don’t have it so bad. I like the part in the Bible where it says husbands love your wives like Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her (the church).

If there was a little more of the giving himself, (not ruling or demanding but kindness and considering her first over his own wants, needs, etc.) then being subject to the man isn’t so bad. You’re his number one and you know it.

You guys are pulling the passages out but you’re not understanding why they were said or what he was saying.

• 7. momlovesbeingathome  |  March 10, 2007 at 5:22 am

I saw the page titled “women” before this so I commented there. Here is what I posted there:

I am a Christian woman and it saddens me to read what you’ve written here. In no way do I feel like a second class citizen by following the heirarchy that God has created. In no way do I think I am supposed to be less intelligent than men. There are many ways that men and women can be equals but I believe with all my heart that God created this heirarchy on purpose and for a reason. God is the Creator and He knows what’s best. How can we try to say that we know best? We aren’t the creator – we don’t have all the answers. Only God does. There may be some who don’t like what God has ordained but that doesn’t change the fact that it works better that way.

The verses that you quoted need to be read in context and you have to consider who Paul was talking to and what he was trying to accomplish at the time. The women in the church that Paul was addressing had started to cause a lot of problems and Paul was trying to take care of the situation. Most scholars today don’t believe that this means that women are still not to speak at all in church.

Anyway, I didn’t really intend to start debating here. :) I just wanted to point out that, in my opinion, women of God are not going to feel the way you have indicated here. I feel blessed in the heirarchy that God has created for me – I don’t feel threatened by being submissive to my husband or to God. I love my husband and I love my God and I willingly submit to both.

I agree (again) with austrose’s comment – well said!

• 8. stellar1  |  March 10, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Perhaps those who are still in the framework of religion – those who still need religion as part of their daily lives – do no want or need an apology for the ill-treatment of women at the hands of religion. But there are some of us who not only appreciate it, but need it.

I cannot count the number of times I was “put in my place” by religious men and women, as if they had a right to determine what my place is in the first place. I am the only one who has the right.

As a very independent thinker, you can imagine the “fun” I had growing up in a conservative christian home and church. So I do indeed appreciate aA’s apology for women.

• 9. pastorofdisaster  |  March 15, 2007 at 4:08 am

I will repeat my apology on this site. I am so sorry for the misogynistic, sexist, anti-semitic, homophobic and xenophobic fundamentalism of my past. Great idea!

• 10. Heretic  |  March 16, 2007 at 11:48 pm

If you truly understood the principles of authority that this verse is referencing – you would understand that true christianity does not subject women. It sets them free to be what and whom God created them to be.

That’s the lie that we’ve bought as a culture. That being under authority is always a bad thing. IE – being under the authority of God is a restrictive thing – when in reality being under God’s authority is the most freeing thing in the world.

But you probably won’t buy that! ;)

Blessings!

• 11. agnosticatheist  |  March 16, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Heretic,

Are you referring to “God’s authority” as women being subject to men?

aA

• 12. stellar1  |  March 16, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Your right, heretic, I certainly don’t buy your response. That’s like telling a working joe that it is better that he works for someone else his entire life rather than strike out and start a healthy business on his own.

Every single person on the face of the earth has the right to be independent and self reliant. That includes that women should not have to “submit” to men. Ever. Period.

• 13. lostgirlfound  |  July 19, 2007 at 6:19 pm

Sad that it’s “religion” and not God — or even Jesus — that puts women in a subordinate position. Organizations have propigated and pushed this agenda because … I wonder why? To be honest, I was raised in a pretty traditional church and never was told women were “second class” until I went to an institute of “higher Christian learning”.
    The God I know — or think I’m beginning to know — doesn’t see me as chattle … I wish religion (or, truth be told, corporate America) could see me that way, too. Isn’t it weird that women’s salaries still lag behind men, even in this country? What the hell …

• 14. Ok! Ok! Maybe I never believed… « de-conversion  |  October 22, 2007 at 11:30 pm

[...] certain concepts that I never recall preaching such as the rapture, hell, the Garden of Eden & curse of the woman, Noah’s flood & the origin of the rainbow, the Tower of Babel & the origin of [...]