WWJD Series – Jesus and Family Values

March 27, 2007 at 9:44 pm 39 comments

Happy FamilyJesus, you are 12 years old and you disappear from your family. Your parents frantically search for you for 3 days. When they finally find you, should you apologize?

Luke2:48-49 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.” “Why were you searching for me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?”

Jesus, your ministry is very demanding of your time. Your mother and brothers are wanting to speak with you. Should you let the people know you need to take a few moments of personal time to see what they need from you?

Matthew 12:46-50 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.” He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

Jesus, I want to follow you but my father just died. My family, especially my mother, really need my support and I would like to take a moment to grieve. Is it ok if I first attend to his funeral before leaving?

Luke 9:59 He said to another man, “Follow me.” But the man replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father. Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”

Jesus, I want to follow you but I would first like to go and say goodbye to my family. Is it ok for me to take a few moments to do this?

Luke 9:61-62 Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-by to my family. Jesus replied, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”

Jesus, I want to be your disciple. I believe I’m a good man. I love my father and mother. I love my wife and children. I even love my brothers and sisters. I also value my life. Am I the type of individual you’re looking for to be a disciple?

Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.”

Jesus, the angels heralded “peace on earth, goodwill towards men” at your birth. I’m looking forward to this peace especially within my own family. Is that why you’re here?

Matthew 10:34-36 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law — a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.”

Jesus, I want to follow you. However, I’m sure you also want me to take care of my family especially my wife and children. If I don’t, I’m sure I would be punished. Correct?

Luke 18:29-30 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus said to them, “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life.”

Jesus, I love my dad and treat him with great respect. Does this please you?

Matthew 23:9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

Jesus, thanks for the lessons. I’m sure to ask myself “what would Jesus do?” as I ponder my family values.

- The de-Convert

Entry filed under: The de-Convert. Tags: , , , , , , , , , .

Jesus – to be or not to be, that is the question! Cultural Christianity

• 1. Concerned  |  March 27, 2007 at 10:28 pm

I hope you fully consider what you are doing profaning God’s name in your blog. God is a jealous God, and will not take your atheistic view lightly. One day, everyone will acknowledge that He is Lord and King, you included. I pray that you enjoy your national holiday coming up….April Fool’s Day, because it is a fool who thinks he can get away with opposing God and leading others along with him. I pray for God to touch your heart and allow you the opportunity to change. satan and his influence are rebuked this day in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

• 2. nullifidian  |  March 28, 2007 at 12:26 am

Methinks ‘Concerned’ hasn’t read their bible thoroughly. Or just chooses verses willy-nilly. ‘Concerned’ cannot be a True Christian(TM).

• 3. agnosticatheist  |  March 28, 2007 at 4:42 am

nullifidian,

What I find interesting is that the above post is NOT The de-Convert’s personal opinion. It’s not him “profaning God’s name.” It’s simply quoting what is written in the Bible. Yes, it’s ignoring the good stuff but I beleieve he’s had blogs talking about those positives.

As a former Christian myself, I still allow those positive things to have an impact of my life. However, I have discovered that many of those concepts are found in many other philosophical or religious thought also.

The bottom line is, you are right, Christians selectively read the Bible then attack anyone who quotes those “ignored” verses.

aA

• 4. agnosticatheist  |  March 28, 2007 at 4:45 am

Concerned,

I like the April Fools slam! Thanks. I’ll have to remember to blog about that.

aA

• 5. mysteryofiniquity  |  March 28, 2007 at 8:05 am

April Fool’s Day falls on Palm Sunday this year. Who’s fooling who?

• 6. Mike  |  March 28, 2007 at 11:47 am

Dear Concerned,

Why should I serve a God who demands allegiance through coercion?

I can understand why you feel upset, but praying for aA’s soul after patronizing him is an interesting way of showing Christian love.

The truth of the matter is that Jesus demanded very unethical attitudes towards our own family members. It’s hard to swallow, but it’s true.

• 7. epiphanist  |  March 28, 2007 at 2:14 pm

The Christ was not proposing a trip to Disneyland, and would have problems with humanist values. Why is the Aa in such a hurry? I left you a comment on ” The God of Christianity is not merciful ” which you missed. Not like Aa to leave the last word to someone else?

• 8. agnosticatheist  |  March 29, 2007 at 5:22 am

…but it was such a good last word :) I tried letting you have the last word here also but it was very difficult. I kept waking up thinking, I have to post a comment. I have to post a comment. I’m finally giving in. Damn, these demons. Wait! I don’t believe in such things.

• 9. paperdots  |  March 29, 2007 at 5:35 am

Aside from all the useless banter, the first question of reasonable consideration should be: Why was Jesus not sent to any people but the lost sheep in the House of Israel?

Then investigate the loyalty to Jesus family in Judaism. This is what he demanded of his followers.

• 10. agnosticatheist  |  March 29, 2007 at 5:41 am

paperdots,

I’m assuming you did this investigation. Can you help me out and give a brief summary of your findings.

aA

• […] a previous blog, Jesus and Family Values, I used New Testament scriptures to show the views Jesus expressed on family […]

• 12. The Myth of Bible-based “Family Values” « de-conversion  |  November 20, 2007 at 6:03 am

[…] 20, 2007 Way back in the beginnings of d-C (yea, March of this year), The de-Convert pasted some troubling examples of what Jesus thinks about family values. Whether it was his youthfully pious mischievousness (Luke […]

• […] In addition, one has to question whether these are absolutes when the Bible itself condoned many acts of killing and stealing depending on the circumstance. Jesus was not a big fan of the “honor your father and mother” commandment as discussed in my posts WWJD Series – Jesus and Family Values. […]

• 14. Love to All  |  August 16, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I think you are truly midunderstanding what Jesus is saying in the verses that you outlined. His message is consistant in the fact that God comes first. God is sovereign and he comes first. This is the hardest thing for man to accept in our self absorbed, egotistical and most importantly, rebellious nature. We lack humility. In our vanity, we spit in the face of God. Then we cry “Oww!”, when we reap the consequences of it. It is foolish to believe that you can do that and get away with it. God gives us free will. We can choose to follow and obey him or we can choose to be our own God and live according to what we feel is right and wrong. I love you brother. I will continue to pray for you that the scales may be lifted from your eyes. Even still some of us “Christians” give Jesus a bad name by our actions as well.

• 15. The Apostate  |  August 16, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Love To All,

False syllogism.
    Simply because someone doesn’t make “God first” (as if any Christian actually does), does not mean that one is egotistical – why can’t I put my family first?

Secondly, are you willing to go to hell for what you believe? What if, by putting God first, you actually would go to hell? Now that certainly would be an unselfish act, wouldn’t it? The fact is, however, that you believe that you are getting into a utopian world after this one with no suffering. Don’t you think this is putting your wishes first and foremost?

• 16. LeoPardus  |  August 16, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Or maybe you are misunderstanding them in your effort to soften their apparent harshness.

We lack humility. In our vanity, we spit in the face of God.

Or our fellow man as we bring our religious “answers” and “wisdom” to straighten out everyone else’s errors.

I will continue to pray for you that the scales may be lifted from your eyes.

Well we won’t pray, but we will hope for you.

• 17. The Apostate  |  August 16, 2008 at 5:41 pm

I will continue to pray for you that the scales may be lifted from your eyes.

A common misconception by scientifically-inept fundamentalists – humans don’t have scales. :D

• 18. WWJD Series: Jesus and anger management « de-conversion  |  October 14, 2009 at 2:59 pm

[…] WWJD Series – Jesus and Family Values […]

• 19. Brucru  |  March 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I love these verses! Bingo! They are freeing, counter-cultural, and liberating. I know you set them up as constraining and abusive. But I see it differently. It’s really good news to those who have been snubbed, rejected, abused or de-valued by their biological family, or by the prevailing conventional wisdom that smothers (LGBTQ?) It means that ultimately, you pick your family, and that love and loyalty go way beyond simple biology. I’m not into labels– I seldom use the word “Christian” to define myself (although, interestingly enough, “Christian” is first used in Acts, when both Jews and Gentiles began eating and sharing life together)– I prefer and “apprentice of Jesus”. I was not raised in a tradition where “convert” was used (thank God). The disciples, who’d left nets, family businesses, and the comfort of their communities to follow this man who began to operate as if unconditional love was the highest power, needed assurance that what they were pursuing is far greater than what they’d left behind. Though these verses hit me at a different angle– I appreciate your exposing the way in which many (not all) people who value Jesus have perverted his message and have turned into the very people– narrow-minded Pharisees– that broke Jesus’ heart, and nailed him to a tree. It has been said that Jesus is the answer to God’s bad reputation.

• 20. Brucru  |  March 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm

P.S. I listed LGBTQ as an example of people who might find a lot of good news in Jesus’ re-definition of “family”– I might add the poor, single moms who can’t support their kids, prostitutes, the mentally ill, those who are incarcerated, and a whole host of other folks who, in Jesus mind, are in the front of the line to the kingdom, not the back.

• 21. cag  |  March 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Brucru, the same people who imagined images in the stars also imagined deities. Your god and your jesus are just products of people sitting around the fire BSing while the goats ruminated. The human imagination is a powerful thing, having conjured up thousands of gods that you reject. Your god is no different than the thousands of other deities, all imaginary. There have never been any gods, angels, devils, saints or any other supernatural beings. Real evidence or remain quiet, do not presuppose. Question dogma, question what you were told as a child.

• 22. Ubi Dubium  |  March 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Brucru, these verses give people license to be a jerk to other people and use “scripture” as an excuse. There is so much contradictory stuff in “scripture” that you can find there justification for any reandom thing you want to do. Bigotry, slavery, child abuse, genocide? Yep, it’s all there. Honor your father and mother, or abandon them to pursue some cult? Both there. Work hard, or don’t worry about tomorrow? Both are in there.

The one thing I don’t see in there is “taking personal responsibility for the reasults of your actions”. But that’s the only ethical code that actually works.

• 23. Anonymous  |  May 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm

you are a bonehead!!!

• 24. Boca Raton CPA jobs california  |  August 31, 2014 at 8:47 pm

There are many type of taxes in this era, and
    the one that we are going to discuss is the BR. Individuals and organizations, who find the procedure of preparing tax statements and
    filing them quite difficult, can opt for outsourcing tax return. Passing the CPA exam may be
    a daunting project, especially if you’ve heard of the vast number of
    people who have had to take multiple sections several times before ultimately passing the CPA exam.

• 25. cpa firms boca raton fl  |  September 3, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Now that you know a little more about the CPA exam scoring process and how it works, you
    can stop checking your email every five minutes and stop accosting your
    mail carrier when they deliver your mail. 23 per sq feet per month by way of rateable property tax, but would have had to pay Rs 8.
    If you attach a corrected Form 1040, be sure to write ‘Amended’ across the front of both pages of the 1040.

• 26. boca raton Financial advisor jobs in atlanta ga  |  September 12, 2014 at 12:56 am

So they may have an employment contract for 2 or 3 years subsequent to the actual sale of the business.
    Then I will upload all 20 of these to my host to correspond with my domain name
    that I was using for my initial redirect. Most of us, instead of looking for ways to reduce debt we just keep adding more
    debt thinking we can somehow we can get out from
    under all this debt.

• 27. movers lifting straps for cranes  |  September 13, 2014 at 12:06 pm

You may use a simple drain snake to reach into your
    pipe. The Illinois Movers will give you with an end-to-end solution at a cheap basis.
    Getty Center is renowned for its architecture, gardens, and views overlooking Los Angeles.
    You would also observe that the agent is capable of managing trucking logistics for all types of airfreight
    and ocean freight import and export services. Mission Viejo homeowners can enjoy the many companies that will
    sometimes even offer a free estimate, and sometimes may have a referral discount as well.
    This 30 day timeframe can be both good and bad for a seller.
    As we all knows that engine is a powerful machine infect we
    can say that our vehicle is nothing without engine so engine play an important
    role in our vehicle. Those who sleep on their backs need to have the support so that their spine is not pulled out of alignment during their sleeping.

The units send to the client are taken back to the location where the containers are kept in secured environment.
    The companies are persistently good and this makes most
    individuals seek for such shifting helps.

• 28. http://Www.abc27.com  |  September 14, 2014 at 2:21 am

Generally I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to
    say that this write-up very pressured mee to
    try and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me.

Thank you, vrry great post.

• 29. Little black bodycon Dress  |  September 14, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Lulu*s Lulu’s is an online retailer and is one of many hipster clothing stores.
    Another thing to think about are the flowers the bridesmaids will wear.
    Gown Chic, an intimate boutique, is scheduled to open to the
    public on December 4th.

• 30. bodycon dress long sleeve uk  |  September 15, 2014 at 6:30 am

These clothes are made to improve your shape because they suck you
    in, smoothing your shape. Marketing professional with more than 10 years
    of experience in different products & services, widely networked by which
    successfully launched and introduced some of the leading brands in India,
    Consumer durables, Fashion online Products For More Details :.
    Deep condition often, and use a leave-in conditioner.

• 31. marine freezer systems  |  September 16, 2014 at 1:51 am

Yet he chose to ask me so many questions about how and why
    I do things, because he could see the profound insight
    I had built up due to going my own way with my own research and testing over the past 7
    years. Leave your windows open a few hours a day and then you get to clean the black soot off
    of the floors. If you are getting ready to go deep-sea fishing, there are a
    few things you might want to know about sea fishing bait.

• 32. long distance moving companies in atlanta ga  |  September 16, 2014 at 7:27 am

While doing the resettlement work shifters get confused
    in between the puzzling works. While Naphtha is not commonly discussed, it is
    a great alternative to butane and propane. The important to making
    helpful telemarketing scripts is beginning with brief introduction of
    oneself and the company you are representing. 4 – Width, height, background color and text color etc
    are manageable by admin. Another point to be
    considered here is that the local businesses know the target customers better than multi national companies, as they have their roots here
    in this county of Florida and thereby know the people and the tourists
    of this place better. It also comes with an array of hi-tech standard features, including a rearview camera, Expanded View Driver’s
    Mirror, Bluetooth Hands – Free – Link phone interface, SMS text messaging function, Multi-Information Display (i-MID)
    and Pandora Internet Radio interface. Accommodation Apartments Edinburgh is the name of luxury, these apartments famous in all over the world due to their features.
    Moving on to the hood, make sure you have your can of white lithium grease spray handy
    along with a clean piece of cloth or rag. Once you have the right house plan that fits your preferences,
    you should then consider the materials. Professional packers and movers
    of Delhi are completely safe and trouble option of relocation.

• 33. Movers and Shakers jobs Kenya 2014  |  September 17, 2014 at 10:53 am

In most homes, a classily designed LCD TV has become an urgent
    part in every entertainment room. Apple Macbook, Dell XPS 15, HP Pavillion dv7, Lenovo G560, Sony Vaio.
    Our company knows for installing and using the best parts of auto.
    Shifting vehicles to far away destinations is also very hectic and risk oriented task.
    It is important for the crew to be aware of the handling procedures when it comes to high
    tech gadgets and furniture. Large open space in the back of the
    truck leaves plenty of space for objects to fall out of
    place and get beat against each other, but there’s
    a simple solution to this problem, and it is to set the
    cargo bar of bars around the loading area of the vehicle
    in order to hold items in place. When you are in search of
    a new work place for you company it is important to view a couple of
    different office spaces so that you have lots of selection. The Makita
    provide Jobsite Radios to take away dull mood in your
    work place that quickly turns it into something delightful
    by choosing a good background music that will suit you
    best. You just need to cash back in some areas where one needs to switch.
    The companies are persistently good and this makes most individuals
    seek for such shifting helps.

• 34. interstate moving costs comparison  |  September 18, 2014 at 12:20 am

These boxes are specially designed for shipping clothes, framed artwork and perilous
    materials. Video Production improved presented impressing are sure to appeal video companies’ middle and old, large and small,
    traditional in a valuable and meaningful subject. No trip to Miami would be complete without a shopping trip, and there’s no shortage of options, with
    shopping areas catering for every style and budget.
    Safe-keeping facilities are yet another wonderful advancement in this day and age.
    As a result, migrants are looking for newer options where
    they can lead a relaxing life and get to make good
    money in return for their services. This 30 day timeframe
    can be both good and bad for a seller. Because of the low cost mode of transportation but more time consuming, there is always a dilemma in picking the right choice.

This means that you can just open the door and leave the screen closed to enjoy the beautiful weather without
    pesky bugs. Implement document management software system in your home,
    office and storage today to assist you with de-cluttering not only your paper filing system, but any item
    that you can put a number onto to get organized and be more productive.
    You must know what the data corruption is and how it occurs.

• 35. hcg weight loss graph  |  September 18, 2014 at 3:24 am

American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative
    Physiology recently published a report that connects hypertension and obesity.
    Physically, because it wrecks havoc to your body systems that have to attune
    different metabolic, circulatory and gastrointestinal processes
    in between relatively short periods of time. For this reason, HCG dieters
    report a feeling and appearance of great health and marvel at the loss of negative health risks they had as an overweight individual.

• 36. boutique pakistani dresses online shopping  |  September 18, 2014 at 3:14 pm

The rank and file performance will be given a formal rating every six months —
    this will be the basis of their salary increments. Vintage jewelry was the charm
    and retro designs mixed with modern looks were another hit style in jewelry.
    There are many teens that invent their own styles and aim
    at becoming an icon among their groups.

• 37. dunnage big box Braids  |  September 19, 2014 at 12:58 am

Houseboats in Echuca are ideal houseboats
    which have the accommodations that allow you to relax and
    explore the lake with all the comforts of any regular
    home. The options within the area range from Myall Lakes
    houseboats, cottages, apartments, cabins and guests houses, lodges and hotels among many others.
    Here are the guild quests along with a handy location and a listing of
    the reward for completion.

• 38. trouver plan q  |  October 21, 2014 at 8:44 am

Hiya very nice site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. I will bookmark your site and take the
    feeds additionally? I am satisfied to find
    so many useful info here within the put up, we need work out
    extra techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing.
    . . . . .

• 39. Wilfred  |  October 21, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts
    and I am waiting for your next write ups thank you once again.