A summary of the beliefs of Christianity
Here’s what the Bible tells us about the history of the world and how “God” relates to humans:
- The world was created by God in 6 days (order of creation a bit vague since there are 2 contradictory creation accounts)
- The world is approximately 6,000 years old (if you use a literal interpretation of the Bible that a day is a day and a year is a year. Not sure why you would not.)
- For the first 2,000 years, it’s not clear how humans were saved or damned. In was probably based on actions or lineage since there was no mechanism in place for salvation or damning people to hell. Well, hell really didn’t seem to exist at this time.
- Approximately 4,000 years ago, Abraham came on the scene. God, all of a sudden, began to take an interest in his creation beyond wiping them all out with a flood and occasional talking to someone. He selects Abraham out of all the people alive as the person he would use to create a “chosen people.” Every other family tree after this time were more or less damned (until Christianity that is, but that’s jumping ahead).
- This “chosen people” had to kill and massacre animals and birds in order to be appease God and allow him to pardon their sins. Remember, if you were not a part of this wandering desert tribe in the Middle East, you were outside of God’s interest. They were the chosen ones and bound for paradise. Hell didn’t really exist during this time either so I’m not sure what happened to those who were not a part of this tribe. During this time period, God was pretty much a killing machine. He killed people for complaining, for picking up sticks on the Sabbath, and a variety of other petty reasons.
- Then about 2,000 years ago Jesus was born. He died on cross as the ultimate sacrifice for the sin of humanity. On that day, all the Jews, the previous “chosen people,” were no longer chosen unless they accepted Jesus as Messiah. God now had a new “chosen people,” Christians, and non-Jews could now be included as a part of this group. God is now a loving, merciful, compassionate Father in heaven.
- The previous set of rules that allowed the Jews to be redeemed were no longer valid. They were now damned to hell, which exists at this point, along with everyone else who do not accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior. Yes, if you don’t accept Christ, you are going to hell for an eternity of torture! BURN! BURN! BURN!
I should add that about 600 years after Christ, Islam introduced another branch in the “chosen people” tree. Just as Christians point to prophecies of Christ in the Old Testament, Muslims point to prophecies of Muhammad in the Bible. However, Christianity rejects this new branch just as Judaism rejected the Christian branch.
– The de-Convert