Speaking in Tongues: Shandalahai!

May 25, 2007 at 7:25 am 77 comments

Reader Jessica Cassidy contributes the following story:

I once belonged to a church who focused on gifts and titles of the clergy…if you spoke and addressed the congregation..it was like they called u a deacon or a minister. The first time I heard someone speak in tongues, I was a little afraid because it was new. I ran from this gift that God wanted to give me because of fear of the unknown. Finally, I stopped running and accepted this gift from our gracious Father…and it is truly an awesome experience. Not everyone has the gift or receives it. It is God’s gift to give and if the Holy Spirit doesn’t direct you into that direction (not people) then it isn’t of God. When my friends heard me speak in tongues, they didn’t believe that I truly had the gift because I only uttered the same thing over and over again…they told me that I needed to pray for the completion of my tongues. What is that??? God is perfect and complete and the gift is perfect and complete as well. If I was supposed to say more than what I spoke, then I would have. My point is, churches can really get caught up in the laws of God and the spiritual gifts. It isn’t that we shouldn’t obey God’s laws, but the laws shouldn’t be our main focus. We should always be focused on our Lord and allow Him to do the changing in us and all we have to do is Love him with ALL of OUR hearts… if we truly love Him and desire to serve Him, the laws will be obeyed automatically.”

This comment from Jessica brought back some fond memories. I am experienced in speaking in tongues and have felt this awesome experience from God. Here is the story of how I began speaking in tongues:

I mentioned in an earlier article my childhood trauma when I accidentally blasphemed the Holy Ghost. I was a very self-serious young lad. Since I was raised in various hippie communes during the height of the Jesus Freak Movement, our worship services seemed to move to a new location every week. Sometimes it would be at the local rancher’s house, sometimes down at the river for a (yet another) baptism, sometimes it was in grandma’s house. We really had no pastor or leader – everyone just sort of took their turn. As a result, we were huge on emotionalism, signs and wonders, and spiritual gifts, and sorely lacking in any foundational teachings or leadership. So things sometimes got very wild.

But even with the wild nature of our worship, the services still had a predictability to them. Today when I go to my old Baptist church, I know the first song will be upbeat, and everyone will clap their hands. The second a little slower. The third slower still, with plenty of emotion, and hands will start to raise in the air. I know when the Pastor will tell us to stop and shake hands with a neighbor. I know who will pray and when. I have been through it a million times at that church.

Same thing when I was a kid. I knew everyones’ favorite songs, and when people would start dancing. I knew just when people would start yelling. I knew when people would bind the devil in their prayers. And predictably, I knew when the entire congregation would break out in an extended period of ecstatic chanting in tongues. This was always followed by silence from everyone while we waited for one member to give us a special message in the heavenly babblings. And this was always followed by somebody else interpreting it for us as a message from God! Cheering and great joy from everyone always followed this. “Praise God!!”

Whether or not this has any Biblical validity is not the point here. Everyone did it. My mom did it. But I did not.

I thought something must be wrong with me. I just could not do it. Like I said, I was a self-serious young boy. And just as when I agonized over blaspheming the Holy Ghost, I also wondered about this. After all, Mark 16:17 says speaking in new tongues is a sign of those who believe. So, the teaching went, normal water baptism was not good enough to be saved. If we were not baptized in the *Holy Ghost* and show evidence by speaking in tongues, we were not really saved! What is it about this Holy Ghost that causes youngsters so many problems???

I once asked my friend Dino what I should do. “You don’t speak in tongues?” he asked. “It’s easy! Just start talking. Shandalahai!”

“That’s it?”

“Yeah! It’s easy and fun too! Shandalahai!” I always remember that Dino’s language consisted mostly of one word, repeated over and over again. ‘Shandalahai! la la la Shandalahai! la ga ha Shandalahai!’ But Dino was always a bit of a rebel. This was the same kid who would scoldingly whisper for me to lie still after we were both Slain in the Spirit.

But I still could not do it during worship service. So one day I went up to some of the people who were running that particular worship service. I told them to pray for me so I could be baptized in the Holy Ghost and speak in new tongues.

The whole congregation converged on me. I stood in the middle of a crowd, and at least 30 hands from 30 hippie believers laid their hands on me. They prayed for God to baptize me in the Holy Ghost. And they prayed. And prayed. And prayed. Their voices rose, and they began to shout.

Water baptism was easy compared to this! I get dunked, come up and it is over. When will this end? What is going on?

They started shouting louder, and commanded Satan himself to release his grip on me!

SATAN???? How did He get involved in this??

a Russell Lee photo - 1947I was beginning to cry. All this pandemonium happening and directed all at me! What was supposed to happen? I wanted the Holy Ghost, but I had no idea what was going on. I raised my arms and my head and face and body were covered with other hands.

“Just let it out, just let it out – in JESUS name!” They were waiting for me to give a sign that I had received the Holy Ghost by speaking in other tongues. I cried and cried, “Please God, let me speak in tongues! Please Holy Ghost, come into my body!” Everyone at this point was either yelling in other tongues at the top of their voices, or binding Satan or some other evil spirit.

Finally, after a really long time, I just began to let my lips move. I cried and just let my lips move. Everyone began cheering. This must be it! This must be Other Tongues!! I let it out louder, and everyone cheered, “Praise God! Thank You Jesus!” I never yelled “Shandalahai!”, instead mine sounded like somebody shivering fiercely. “Du du dud du dudududu dudu…” Not to fear. I was informed that this was the infancy stage of speaking in tongues, and very soon my language would develop. I would be screaming “Shandalahai!” with the big boys in no time, if I just keep with the faith. (Yes I know this is unbiblical, but this is the environment I came from).

I was happy – I knew I was a child of God. So each week for about a year, I worshipped God with “du dudud dud dudud dud du dudu …” I never did get out of that ‘infancy stage’. Then one day, I did what my own mother eventually also did. I just stopped talking in tongues.

I quit for no real reason, other than that it was tedious. I was still a Christian, mind you. But after a year or so, I just found God’s special gift of Other Tongues to be unnecessary and tiresome. Even at that young age, and even as a Christian, I guess I realized that the gift was 100 percent ecstatic and 0 percent miraculous.

So, does anybody else have any fond memories of speaking in tongues?

- HeIsSailing

Entry filed under: HeIsSailing. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , .

The Supernatural – Another One Bites the Dust Humans: A pattern seeking species

• 1. Agnostic  |  May 25, 2007 at 8:46 am

I had many Pentecostal tongue-speaking friends. They encouraged me to pray. Me and the ghost never hooked up for the tongue speaking experience. My seeking was alone, on my knees in prayer for an hour here and there over the years.

I was never present when they spoke in tongues.

Then I attended church where John Bevere was speaking. To that point I had read almost all of his books and one of Lisa’s, his wife.

During his sermon a women stood up right in her seat and started speaking in tongues. (I thought, oh great, no wonder the Bible says women should be silent in church.) And to tell you the truth that’s the look John had on his face. It was like, woman who do you think you are? A man a few seats back jumped up and I thought oh good, I’m going to hear an interpretation. Still to this day I don’t know if he was speaking in tongues to her told her to shut up. John just stared at her until she sat down.

At the end of the service John got all excited and started to share his problem with lust and masturbation. I thought, now! The service is near over!

Next thing I know, men are crying out in their seats, then going forward in agony of their sin. John continued on about lust/masturbation and continued on forcefully and passionately. More and more people are stumbling forward to the front of the church, until it seemed most of the church was up there.

Before I know it John starts speaking in tongues. Seemed Russion to me. This was the first time I had actually witnessed tongues with my own eyes and ears. So I listened and though all heads were bowed, I watched. I simply said a bit of a prayer: Lord if this is real, I need to witness it. Forgive me if this is wrong but I need to observe.

John repeated the same phrase over and over again and he walked back and forth from one end of the stage to the other just repeating and repeating and repeating the same thing over and over again. This went on for what seemed like eternity. I kept looking at the men on the stage with him, waiting for them to break into tongues. Maybe one of them might interpret John’s tongues? Nope.

People flocked to the front of the church. People were laying across the steps of the front of the church and the others were packed in to the front like sardines and the overflow of people was filling the aisles of the church.

John must of seen me because he told everyone to close their eyes. I figured I had seen enough so I needed to bow my head too.

I closed my eyes. John was strong in his foreceful rhetoric. I began to cry. Then I heard the word “no” and my sense was, this is wrong. I opened my eyes and looked around. Very few of us remained in the pews. There were about seven of us remaining in the pew I was in. Three of the people I went with were now up in the frenzy. I could only thing, geesh, I hope no one gets crushed.

Afterwards I assisted a friend of mine in a private session with John. She wanted him to pray over her. He was very reluctant. He wasn’t sure she was sincere I guess. I don’t know. Eventually he layed hands on her and prayed. He expected her to go down. The three of us remained on our feet. He left after he signed my book.

• 2. Agnostic  |  May 25, 2007 at 8:48 am

That should read: Still to this day I don’t know if he was speaking in tongues to her or told her to shut up.

• 3. tobeme  |  May 25, 2007 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. I have always had difficulty with a group of people all speaking in tounges. Not sure that I can buy that they are not aware of what they are doing.

• 4. Karen  |  May 25, 2007 at 3:30 pm

Good gravy! That sounds horrific to me. I never spoke in tongues, nor did I ever want to – though I did pray to receive the holy spirit at one point and I felt some kind of emotional/physical “jolt” go through my body. Which I interpreted as an answer to the prayer.

I grew up in the Presbyterian Church, then attended Calvary Chapel and a series of similar evangelical churches that did not emphasize the “gifts of the spirit.” Indeed, Chuck Smith of Calvary was/is very critical of spiritual gifts and Pentecostalism.

I watched a very interesting documentary on Kathryn Kuhlmann a few weeks ago. It implied that many of her critics (including Robert Schuller) were very angry because they were jealous of her overwhelming success – and no doubt because they were threatened that she was a woman.

That program made me wonder how much of the anti-Pentecostalist sentiment was really based on scripture and how much was based on male ego and petty jealousies.

• 5. cragar  |  May 25, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Great post as always. I don’t recall going to any sermons and having anyone speak in tongues. And I went to a number of churches when I was young, Nazarene, Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, and others I am sure I have forgotten. That probably would have caused me to doubt things even sooner than I did.

It reminds me of a friend of mine when we went and saw a hypnotist at a comedy club. He got up on stage and did a couple of goofy things, acted like a chicken and crawled on the floor. He later told me that he wasn’t hypnotised but he didn’t want to be the only one to spoil the show. So was everyone on the stage doing the same?

• 6. Dan Barnett  |  May 25, 2007 at 9:46 pm

As a Christian, I’ve had the experience of hearing pentecostal teens praying in tongues. It turned out to be a trained phrase they would repeat over and over. I believe God enables Christians to speak on another tongue when it is needed to do his work, but other than that I have yet to see where it truly happens outside of that. These prayer languages are most of the time trained. Very interesting post, HIS.

• 7. agnosticatheist  |  May 25, 2007 at 9:46 pm

See this video from 1997 I posted earlier:
    Getting Drunk in Church!
    I hate to admit that I was present during this service, so I won’t :)

• 8. HeIsSailing  |  May 26, 2007 at 8:36 am

Aa sez:
    “In he mid-late 90’s, getting “drunk in the spirit” and “holy laughter” was added to the phenomenon of “speaking in tongues.”

I first heard of Holy laughter in the late 80’s, so I think its been around a bit longer than that – although I have never been to this particular kind of service. I watched about a minute of that video with Copeland and Hagin leading holy drunkedness, and had to turn it off – that stuff is really painful for me to watch. Somebody commented that it was a result of the repressed emotions in Christians. They are not allowed to party or have fun, and this is the result. Whoever made that comment was dead on target.

Although I have never witnessed Holy Laughter, I think the most bizarre service I have been to was a snake handler in Missouri as a teenager. That was truly frightening.

***********************************
    Dan Barnett sez:
    “It turned out to be a trained phrase they would repeat over and over. ”

That is my experience also. I admit that I spoke in tongues, and I believed it to be real, but it was just a mantic state we go into and repeating the same phrases over and over. Joe Nickel, in his book ‘Looking for a Miracle’ reports that every linguistic test done on this shows the same thing – repeated patterns of nonsense.

***********************************************
    Karen sez:
    “Indeed, Chuck Smith of Calvary was/is very critical of spiritual gifts and Pentecostalism.”

Yes, I have heard many of his cassettes. His young protege Skip Heitzig was also the same way, although he did admit several times that all gifts are valid and that he spoke in other tongues in his own private worship.

“I watched a very interesting documentary on Kathryn Kuhlmann a few weeks ago. It implied that many of her critics (including Robert Schuller) were very angry because they were jealous of her overwhelming success”

No kidding? I saw her several times before she died. My mom *loved* her. What was the name of that documentary? She was a very charismatic woman, even if she did have the same face as Richard Nixon.

• 9. HeIsSailing  |  May 26, 2007 at 8:43 am

Agnostic, that was an absolutely bizarre story, and I have also witnessed and been party to many similar events. It is just hyper-emotionalism. I don’t know who John Bevere is though.

You say this:
    “That’s my story. Fond? Well perhaps, in that I stopped worrying about speaking in tongues and it was a key time in my Christian life to start taking a closer look at Christianity.”

Do you mean that this event made you look closer as far was wanting to get more involved in Christian faith, or look more critically at it?

• 10. Agnostic  |  May 26, 2007 at 10:34 am

HIS,

http://www.messengerintl.org/store.asp (Bevere’s website.)

After years of studying cults, spiritual warfare, spiritual abuse, women’s issues in the church etc. I came across Bevere’s book, Breaking Intimidation and immediately began to read all his books and watch his videos. I thought, finally here is what I’m looking for (in regards to dealing with spiritual abuse in the church). I was a Christian at the time.

After I witnessed in person a Bevere message (I wanted to say performance); I took a closer look again at his books and hers and something inside of me started to question his theology etc.. I had escaped legalism; knowing what it was and now here I was, I felt, and this is my opinion, walking right into legalism again.

Then I went to my other books and started going through them again, other Christian authors, apologists etc. I began to look at the diversity within the church and the division that existed inside church denominations and among denominations.

I went from being a lteralist, fundamentalist, evangelical conservative Christian to an agnostic atheist. I’d say I’m a Aa.

So, to answer your question. It helped me to look more critically at it. :-)

• 11. notabarbie  |  May 26, 2007 at 10:39 am

I found your blog hilarious and kind of sad too. I think you know what I mean. Here’s my story:

A long time ago I attended an Assembly of God church. Everybody there spoke in tongues, but I didn’t and this really tweaked my boyfriend. One Sunday evening they had a guest speaker and he begged me to go. This man was there to teach those of us who hadn’t “received the Spirit,” to speak in tongues. He did seminars all over the country – kid you not. I still remember him saying that if we would just close our eyes and pray and just start babbling, it would come. Everyone laid their hands on me and were yelling and crying a babbling, so I did too. They were all so happy for me …I felt like an idiot and a fraud and I found myself wondering if there were others that also felt that way. I know there were. I was glad when I broke up with that guy. I think so many people feel weird around those speaking in tongues, because that’s just what it is—weird; weird and contrived.

Along those same lines; my daughter talked me into watching “Jesus Camp” the other day and have to admit it made me angry. I’m not sure why.

• 12. agnosticatheist  |  May 26, 2007 at 11:11 am

My boys and I watched the “Jesus Camp” yesterday. I, of course, had to apologize to them for ever putting them in that type of environment. My son commented that when you’re there it felt so normal but looking at it now, it’s downright weird.

He also commented that he thinks ever kid in there is feeling as if they’re pretending and everyone else is for real… not knowing that they’re all pretending :) He speaks from experience.

I sent my daughter a link to the video I posted above. She watched it yesterday. She couldn’t believe that she was actually a part of that. All she could say is “wow…. how looney.”

On the other hand, as a former tongue-talker, over time you do get beyond pretending into what you view as your “personal prayer language.” There is a certain comfort that came when you spoke in tongues. Looking back, it is a learned emotion but I can speak in my “personal prayer language” today (knowing that it’s NOT speaking a “heavenly language”) and still conjure up the same comforting feeling. Wierd.

aA

• 13. notabarbie  |  May 26, 2007 at 11:39 am

Okay, that is weird :-) but I completely understand it.

I had to apologize to my daughter too. She feels like she was put in a position where she couldn’t talk to me about her doubts and misgivings and that was hard to hear. She says she’s not angry with me though and that makes me feel a little better.

I love your blog by the way.

• 14. Karen  |  May 26, 2007 at 2:12 pm

That’s pretty much exactly the same thing I’ve heard from numerous ex-Pentecostals in my ex-fundyism support group. They were “making it up as they went along” just so they wouldn’t feel like total outcasts and they wound up feeling like frauds. I think the whole thing is a crock, frankly.

So, do you feel like it was a learned behavior, like playing the piano or speaking Spanish? Rather than something supernatural? Maybe as you did it enough, there was a conditioned emotional response that is still present in your brain – sort of like how we feel comforted doing some childhood ritual like having chicken soup when we’re sick?

Just speculating …

• 15. Karen  |  May 26, 2007 at 2:17 pm

I’m sorry, I mistyped there. The documentary was on Aimee Semple McPherson, not Kathryn Kuhlman. I was thinking Kuhlman because my mother and my aunt loved her, too. Here’s the program on McPherson – it was really interesting:

I’m actually afraid to watch Jesus Camp, because I think it’ll be so depressing it will really trigger some of the negative emotions I’ve overcome in leaving Christianity. I think I probably need to put in more distance from the faith before I can watch things like that.

That said, I’m very glad I never made my kids go to anything like that. They did go to church camps a couple of times, but nothing that hard core, and mostly they didn’t like it very well so I never forced them to go back if they didn’t want to.

• 16. agnosticatheist  |  May 28, 2007 at 11:11 pm

Agnostic,

Good post. Bevere’s Bait of Satan is used by many of the controlling pastors to keep the ‘sheep’ in subjection and open to spiritual abuse. In fact, many WOF/charismatic personality cults have this as a regular study for their followers.

Hard to believe intelligent people allow themselves to be so controlled.

aA

• 17. Agnostic  |  May 29, 2007 at 9:22 am

Thank you aA. I read Bait of Satan and if I’m not mistaken, I believe I watched the video too. At first, I was so hungry for a way out of the literalist legalistic world that I missed it when I entered into Bevere’s world, which in my opinion was just more of the same. I thought Bevere’s way was freedom but as time passed the same heavy yoke of burdens was thrown on my shoulders. Again, more bondage, not freedom.

It may be possible when I look back that intelligent people allow themselves to be controlled because that’s what they need in their lives (for various reasons often not disclosed). In other words, they fear themselves, others and life without some kind of control. If there is a God, if there is an enemy of God, aka Satan, then I need help, I need control and how better to get it then to find a world that is so black and white, so controlled that somehow we convince ourselves we are now secure, now safe.

• 18. samanthamj  |  June 29, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Just found this post after clicking on the tag after writing my own story on speaking in tongues in my blog. Your sounds horriffic. I thought *I* was pressured! LOL
    ~smj

• 19. Christian  |  October 16, 2007 at 9:31 pm

all im saying is that obedience is better than sacrifice remember guys? there lots i can question in church theres lots i can choose not to agree with. But the picture is bigger than that. Am i going to allow other peoples personnel beliefs affect my relationship with God? no way. I would rather submit,…yes even to things i think contradictory..to please him Jesus, not myself, To come up with an explanation for everything is sooo much easier to do than to just trust in God.

oh and p.s. hate mail is encouraged. It helps me grow.

• 20. Christian  |  October 16, 2007 at 9:33 pm

Wow, there’s a lot of people out here that are really against speaking in tounges. I stumbled upon this site by accident and i dont think ill stay too long but before i leave i just want to say that I do speak in tounges. It isnt something it learned, it isnt something that..if i dont have an interpetation right away then i discredit it altogether a cry poor me, it is an act of faith. Everyone here has done it by reading these posts. However, you have all turned away. Can I ask why? in love for a moment? I mean sometimes it is frustrating yes..to not know what your actually praying yes, its true but also at the same time when you pray for someone in english it can be frustrating haveing patience waiting to see if the prayer worked. We always want to see evidence. If we dont then oh it must not be real, or of God. I read this and i too think to myself, i dont really care to test this out. I do it out of obedience of Christ who is my father, i can plead with him all day long to show me a “sign or wonder” that speaking in tounges is real. But you know what? if he had to show me a sign or send an angel to explain the whole procedure like as to a rocket scientist, then it wouldent really be faith at all would it?. all im saying is that obedience is better than sacrifice remember guys? there lots i can question in church theres lots i can choose not to agree with. But the picture is bigger than that. Am i going to allow other peoples personnel beliefs affect my relationship with God? no way. I would rather submit,…yes even to things i think contradictory..to please him Jesus, not myself, which is in fact a wholllleeee lot easier to do. To come up with an explanation for everything is sooo much easier to do than to just trust in God. And of course i do it out of respect for the church i go to. The church is not the church just to meet my needs, rather for me to assist Gods people anyway i can. Remember when timothy got circumsiced? lol he knew it was worthless to do so,,,but at the chance of ministering to the people in that place and out of respect he did so. talk about sacrifice lol. And i hope at least if one person can see this, than it was worth my time to write this God bless you all.

• 21. Christian  |  October 16, 2007 at 9:34 pm

oooooo ouch sorry for the double post guys…

• 22. HeIsSailing  |  October 17, 2007 at 1:25 am

Christian sez:

However, you have all turned away. Can I ask why? in love for a moment?

in love for a moment? oh dear.

Christian, if you really want an answer to this question of *why?*, then stick around. Engage in some dialog and read a few articles.

Or you can continue to completely misunderstand and mischaracterize a very real and growing segment of the Christian population – the Christian apostate.

• 23. Uniman  |  October 25, 2007 at 10:26 am

I have read most of the listed opinions and I took heart at “Christian’s” writing. I have been saved for 30 years now and I’m still learning and discovering wonderful spirtual things. To be honest, most of my saved life I thought speaking in tongues was phoney. I started searching recently on the subject and was blessed on one of the sites I checked out on the subject. Try it out yourself only with an open mind. http://www.layhands.com/HowToBeSpiritBaptized.htm
    I realized that every one who attends church isn’t saved and just becuase we have different denominations doesn’t mean that one is better than the other (though some would disagree). What I’m getting at is there will be those skeptics and phonies and then there are those who are sincere and only want to be pleasing to God. We forget that Jesus is the Judge not us.
    After 30 years of believing, I know now in faith that things like speaking in tongues is a spirtual part of life.
    When you search for truth in scriptures for yourselves and not condem the truth because of what a group or certain people do or how they act, then only will you (through faith) know what is real. Stop gossiping and pointing fingers and being judge and ask God to show you the truth. But if you do then you better be prepared for a spiritual changing.
    In ending, speaking in tongues is praying in your spirit to God. Its uplifing and praising God and for God only, not yourself. Scriptures says to pray in private, behind closed doors, whether praying in the flesh or in the spirit (tongues). We are always looking for some kind of feeling or something when we worship. Its not about us. Have understanding and test all spirits. God Bless you all!

• 24. LeoPardus  |  October 25, 2007 at 11:24 am

Uniman:

Bwa-hah-hah-hah-hah-ho-ho-hee-hee!!! OMAR!

Enjoy your happy, little delusion.

• 25. Uniman  |  October 26, 2007 at 9:39 am

Hi LeoPardus, I’m not sure of what you have written. I can only guess it was meant for meanest. But that’s ok, I expected that from some. Thank you for taking time to read my statement. The door is open, just let the truth in and it will set your free.

• 26. Bro. Schultz  |  November 8, 2007 at 12:52 am

Hello! I am a Pentecostal preacher! I also abhor all of the phony tongues and so-called messages that are supposedly manifestations of God. Unfortunately, these comprise about 95% plus of tongues I have witnessed. One of my hobbies is to visit strange churches; I plan on writing a book, seriously. I do not feel that the early church was anything like the majority of Pentecostalism today. As a boy, I tried to speak in tongues many times, to no avail. HOWEVER, I do believe in tongues, because I spoke in tongues without trying while in prayer on more than one occasion. I am not able to speak in tongues in the microphone at will, so I am sure this diminishes my perceived spirituality. At least I will never appear in a starring role at any camp meetings in Mississippi. In short, I am probably out of touch with the majority of Pentecostalism, but I AM Pentecostal, I do believe the Bible is true, and I enjoy living for God because I have a personal relationship with Him.

• 27. HeIsSailing  |  November 8, 2007 at 6:07 am

Brother Schultz

Brother Schultz, welcome! How do you tell the difference between the phony language and the real deal? Seriously, I am curious to know.

I do have a hunch that the early church was more like modern pentacostalism than any other modern denomination. But that is all it is – a hunch. What do you thinik the early church was like, if not pentacostalism?

• 28. LeoPardus  |  November 8, 2007 at 11:51 am

If you want to see the nearest, currently existing approximation of what the early church looked like, try the following:
    -the most conservative forms of Judaism
    -Eastern or Oriental Orthodox churches
    -older style, or very high church Roman Catholic services
    -St. Thomas or St Mark Christian churches (if you can find them)

There is actually quite a wealth of material on the form and practices of the early church (i.e. 1st – 3rd century). But 99.99999% of Protestants and Catholics are totally unaware of it.

• 29. Slain in the Spirit… by an Atheist? « de-conversion  |  December 12, 2007 at 8:16 am

[...] Pentecostal/Neo-Pentecostal movements. HeIsSailing reminisced on several posts, including one on glossolalia, and another on self-exposed charlatan, Marjoe Gortner; The de-Convert also posted a humorous clip by an [...]

• 30. JesusIsMyDelight  |  July 3, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Greetings. I speak in tongues. I have since I was 17. I’m in my 50’s now. No one prompted me or helped me to it. I’d been converted and went to a divine healer’s meeting with some friends. I was sitting far up in the bleachers praying for those going to get healed. My hands started tingling and I thought they’d fallen asleep, so I shook them a bit and continued praying. The feeling intensified and began to travel up my arm. It was becoming harder to ignore, and I wondered what was going on. My friends had moved down closer to the front so no one was around me. I then felt something like a huge pulling, I always explain it, as if there were a huge vacuum cleaner above me and the suction was tried to pull my arms up. I resisted!!! I held on to the arms of my chair, and could not figure out what was happening. It became too strong so I just let go. The pulling brought me to my feet, my arms went straight up over head and I immediately began speaking in something other than English. I had no idea what was going on, I was speaking much more than a phrase or one or two words. This went on and on and I was enraptured by the feeling of it all. It was wonderful. Ushers came to me and assumed I was standing up to get a healing, and they asked me what I needed. I could barely look at them and could not speak in English at all. They proceeded to usher me down to the front constantly asking me what I needed. Finally when we got to the person doing the healing, they told him “We can’t understand her, she isn’t speaking English. We don’t know what she needs.” He walked over to me, smiled kindly and said to them, Goodness, she’s being baptized in the Holy Spirit. Please sit her down and let her enjoy it. Stop dragging her all over this auditorium.

I have mostly spoken in tongues for my own edification. I call it my prayer language. I have found it to be very much like Romans 8:26. “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” When I pray in tongues, I am renewed. I love it. I am so thankful for it. I have many “languages”, I don’t know what I say, but I feel what I say. I sing in tongues too. I love this. It lifts me and feeds me.

Recently others have heard my music and while they don’t speak in tongues and some are not even sure how they feel about God, they have gotten something wonderful from the music. Some say it gives them faith, some say it is speaking their heart, what they cannot seem to express themselves. I didn’t always know what this gift was for. I used to be in a community of people who spoke in tongues and it was like many of the places the other posters wrote about. I couldn’t get into a lot of things. There were very few of us who would come together to pray and sing on our own. It has been many years keeping this within myself, and now I see it as a gift for healing. When the Spirit comes upon me, I choose to believe it is because someone needs to hear the music, and that it will help them in some way.

Everyone doesn’t need to speak in tongues. Just like prophecy or teaching or preaching. There are many who teach, yet some people seem to have a “gift” of teaching, or a “gift” of preaching. I don’t know why this had to become so controversial and dividing. But, then again, that is the road organized religion seems to take. Different sides, different kingdoms. In reality, we are all one. We are of the same Body.
    Bless.

• 31. Danielle  |  August 3, 2008 at 11:27 pm

I am 18. I recieved the gift of speaking in tounges by accident. I was doing my nightly prayer routine, pray for my school and my family, and my future and friends that arent saved. The last thing I remember praying that night was that i would become something God could use in his will. Eventually I realized I was praying in tounges. My gift is developing now it has been a few years, sometimes I can understand what it means when I speak or when others speak. My brother thought it was just me until one night at a prayer meeting I interpreted tounges for someone and told him on the way home that they said both of us would become ministers. He did not even believe me then, well everything started falling into place for us to become ministeres. I am going to bible school in a month to get trained and he has agreed to come with me next year. He still does not speak in tounges but I know in my spirit that the gift is his whenever he is ready to accept it.

• 32. tank.  |  October 6, 2008 at 10:08 pm

U guys are crazy. speaking in tonges is speaking in different languages about god like greek latin german and there is Scripture that is witten that langruages should be interpreted. langruages. not jiberish. change ur minds and be baptized into christ for the remission of ur sins and then u shall recieve the gift of the holy spirit. be added to no other church but the church of christ. thanx

• 33. The Apostate  |  October 6, 2008 at 11:16 pm

tank.,
    Crazy we may be, but at least we are informed.
    You come from a denomination that believes that speaking in tongues is *gasp* likewise to that which happened in Acts. I should inform you that this is not what all Christians believe. Some studies report that upwards to 20% of Christians worldwide are of Pentecostal or Charismatic tendencies and a good chunk of those believe in the “shambala” phenomenon (including the wee Pentecostal church just down the street here in rather secular Canada).
    While you may have the bonus of Biblical support, you have little factual basis. When “speaking in tongues” was first all the rave at the turn of the 20th century, people were amazed and scrambled to attribute real human languages to the speakers. What happened? Well we found out that those people were, in fact, speaking jibberish. Missionaries were not finding that they could speak the languages of their destination country and the spirit was not pouring out on people to tell all the nations about Christ. This creates a problem – speaking in tongues may be real languages, but then this means it never happens. It is a fraud.
    The shambala phenomena has simply converted the speaking in tongues concept in the same way the religion always runs to: untestable claims. Speaking in real tongues doesn’t exist so instead they claim it is some sort of language from heaven. Problem solved, except for people in their right mind who actually read their scriptures.

• 34. Quester  |  October 7, 2008 at 2:06 am

Yep, the whole “language of men and angels” bit. If you can’t find a language to match, claim it’s either angelic or ancient. If I found myself speaking a language I did not actually know, but a native speaker overheard and could translate, that would impress me.

• 35. john t.  |  October 7, 2008 at 8:44 am

The only speaking in tongues I could ever actually translate was when the wife and I were in the heat of the moment ;)

• 36. The Apostate  |  October 7, 2008 at 5:19 pm

Haha – that reminds me of the scene in “Saved!” when the Jewish girl starts “speaking in tongues”.

• 37. Sidharth  |  January 22, 2009 at 8:18 am

The gift of tongues is real, no matter how many try faking it. Would you deny real money just because there are some counterfeiters? Does something become ingenuine just because you haven’t experienced it?

I have experienced the baptism in the Spirit and have spoken in a clear language. No one told me to repeat what they said or asked me to speak what came to my mind.

You may ask if I was brought up in a Pentecostal or Charismatic background, but no, I come from the hindu faith and there was no gimmick. If there was, I’d be satisfied with my previous faith.

Sidharth

• 38. The Apologist  |  January 22, 2009 at 11:39 am

Sidharth,

The gift of tongues is real, no matter how many try faking it.

Are religious experiences, as a whole, fake?
    I don’t think that is the question. The question, however, is what is the basis of the religious experience. Is it from above or is it manufactured through natural means. Simply because it is manufactured does not make it “fake,” just misunderstood by those who engage in it.
    So I ask you, is what golem that the schizophrenic sees before him “fake”, or is it simply a condition of his or her mind?

• 39. LeoPardus  |  January 22, 2009 at 11:59 am

The gift of tongues is real, no matter how many try faking it.

Well! That settles the matter then. You showed up and boldly asserted this, so it just MUST be true.

• 40. SamuelDavid  |  February 5, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I grew up never knowing what ‘tongues” were because i went to churches that didnt say anything about it. Obviously Jesus talks about tongues, but i never really “studied” it. I just never really read my bible. I was a very complacent Christain. Since i never really knew or experienced anything dealing with “tongues” i assumed it was nonsense. However, praise the Lord, somehow God found a way to encourage me to read my bible. Sure enough i came across “tongues”, and i saw that, not only Jesus, but also Isaiah, Luke, Paul, and Jude had things to say about it. I didnt think much of tongues at that time, because i couldnt speak it. I just figured if you get it you get it, and if not just keep moving on. I still feel this same way, that tongues is just one venue that the Holy Spirit can minister to the unbeliever. One thing that has changed in my thinking is that tongues is not hokus-pokus. I received “tongues” in my prayer closet all alone one random week night during my usuall prayer/worship/devotion time for the Lord. It is real and everything the Bible says about “tongues” is real, both the negative and positive. As believers we must be mindful of the Holy Spirit and not grieve Him by using one of His gifts without His approval. If you are a teacher, then teach when the Spirit tells you to teach, and stop when He tells you to stop. This must be applied to ALL gifts including tongues. So for those who have had “bad experiences” with tongues please know that what Satan may have meant for bad God can use for good (Gen. 50:20).

Please feel free to respond/rebut!

• 41. writerdd  |  February 5, 2009 at 9:16 pm

• 42. orDover  |  February 5, 2009 at 9:45 pm

As believers we must…

And that’s where you went wrong.

• 43. Eddy  |  February 10, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I think we need not be afraid to get in touch with our inner dobts and concerns around spirtual phenomena. We also need to be humble enogh to accept we do not know every tbing all at once.

Its is possible to get things wrong on our own without help from others who want us to follow thier own perceptions of things.

We are (at least some of us) vulnerable to forces and perceptions
    around spirtual things.

This is especialy so with groups that surround us with love, care and support, but also with conseqential dogma, ie” if yoo question this you are grieving God and so on”

Also it can be quite baffling and exusting trying to navigate through all the interpretations of one particular bible verse or experience.

This has been my jouney thus far, partly my own fualt too. Would n’t it be great if one could know with absolute certainty that one interpretation was right?

however human beigns do not seem to work things out that way, there seems to be a lot to choose from, Particualy from the subjective experioece brand of spirituality.

I just want peace and certainty and a sense of God at wrok in my life, a reality of power to live above my defects and be a better person to the world I mix with.

In my toungue speaking in the past, I found that I could once initated into it speak whenever I wished, for as long as I wanted,
    Hiowever, by the same token my attempts to liive above sin, despite the will and wish to do so were not so as it was with tongues. Now here seems to be a contradiction- The Spirit was at work in my toungue but some how despite my greatest desire, I could not always sence the power or presence of God that this was meant to bring. Deep down I felt the was not all it should be.

I came across a book of sermaons about this very subject. Here I found something that reallly helped me to see the truth of thinfs.

The preacher, exposed the myth of speaking in tongues whenever and wherever you liked by a very honest and scolarly approach to Pauls phrase in 1 cor 14v18″I thank God that I speak in tongues more than ye all”.

He argues thius, what is the point in Paul saying he did this more than they, if they had the ability to do it whenever they wanted to?
    It would make no sense at all to say this.

Further more, I notice that in 1Cor 12v29,30 Pauls implied answer to the question of do all have the same gifts is a NO.

The argument of Paul in this passage is this, God is soverign in his dispensing of the Gifts of the Spirit. He gives When,where and how he chooses in the body of Christ in Chrch history.

Not everyone has the same giftings, to say that we should all have one or the other is to go against the flow of the new testament teaching. True freedom is in unity but diversity under the Lordship of Christ and the enablement of the Holy Spirit.in the Church, which he is the head of.

• 44. BigHouse  |  February 10, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Is there typing in tongues? I think I have witnessed it..

• 45. Yurka  |  February 10, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Tank and Apostate (32 & 33) are correct. What is called “tongues” today isn’t the biblical notion of tongues. See:

• 46. LeoPardus  |  February 10, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Oh boy! John MacArthur!!!!!!!!!!!! That bastion of truth, information, insight, and cranial-rectal inversion. I just wanna run out and buy the book now. And maybe some books by those “science authorities” Yurka WIFA’d for us the other day too.

• 47. Lucian  |  February 10, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Speaking in tongues is a reality, and if You don’t believe me, I can prove it to You anytime by speaking in Romanian and German! :-| In fact, You can’t even begin to understand my religion unless You’re able to speak in tongues first! :-|

• 48. writerdd  |  February 10, 2009 at 9:18 pm

What is called “tongues” today isn’t the biblical notion of tongues.

I know a lot of people find inconsistencies in the Bible and the way their own church does not actually follow the Bible to help them move along in the deconversion process, but I never noticed these things until after I was already agnostic. I am still constantly amazed, even after a decade, that I keep realizing different teachings from the churches I attended that really had absolutely nothing to do with the Bible.

• 49. orDover  |  February 10, 2009 at 10:12 pm

The correct thing to do is not to pick and choose between subjective experiences, but demand evidence that supersedes it, evidence which is not subjective but objective. That’s the only way to go about establishing the baseline of truth. All subjective experiences and anecdotes must be tosses out.

• 50. finallyhappy  |  February 10, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Growing up, for the most part, charasmatic, if you didn’t speak in tongues, you weren’t really submitting your whole self to god. Our pastor even went so far as to say that the more “in tune” you became with god, the more you’d pray in tongues and less in English. It always freaked me out a bit, but I felt I had to do it, to be one of the up and coming leaders in the faith. Oh those insane days…

Reading all the posts reminded me of the spiritual fad (for lack of a better term) of praying for peoples legs to grow out. It had something to do with god correcting their spine and making their legs even…or something like that. I was young and the prayer services were long. They’d line everyone up on the front pew and have them stick their legs straight out. They’d all begin to pray in tongues and you kept praying until their feet were even. Does anyone else remember that odd phase?

On a side note, but not to get off topic, it would be an interesting study to see the many…many odd fads the church has gone through over the years.

• 51. orDover  |  February 11, 2009 at 12:23 am

My favorite fad, although it’s a long running one, is exhuming the bodies of dead saints.

• 52. Lucian  |  February 11, 2009 at 6:59 am

You mean like this? 8) (P.S.: You have to sign in to your YouTube account to be able to watch it).

• 53. LeoPardus  |  February 11, 2009 at 1:24 pm

The things that stuns me about those dug up saints is that the Orthodox proclaim that they are saints because the bodies are “uncorrupted” (I.e. they have not decayed). Jeez Louise! Are they completely blind?!

• 54. SRK  |  February 11, 2009 at 1:48 pm

My first experience with speaking in tongues was when I was in YWAM. I had grown up in a fairly conservative Baptist church so I had no idea what it was. Naturally I was fairly skeptical of the speaker we had that week who was offering to pray for anyone who had not received gifts of the spirit. We were told to think of some gifts that we would like and then go forward and he would pray for us to receive them. After one session I voiced my skepticism and got into a discussion with another student who used the analogy of the X-men. He said being in a Christian community was sort of like being an X-man. Everybody had gifts, some unique, some the same, but they were all used together for the common good. I liked this analogy, as far removed from reality as it was, so I went forward for prayer the next day. I asked for the gifts of faith, discernment and tongues. I started “praying in tongues” a couple of days later. For me, it wasn’t really repetitive phrases, it really felt like a language. I was thrilled that I could now join the elite forces of the Christian community. I can still do it, though I’ve been on my way to becoming a full-blown agnostic for a couple years now. I even still find it calming. For me I think it’s the clearing of the mind, just babbling without attaching any thought to it, that I find soothing. I no longer associate it with any sort of “secret prayer language” or superhero power. I still don’t understand it – actually it’s one of the things that makes me wonder if I’m wrong for rejecting my faith.

Obviously the “gift of faith” never came, since I no longer call myself a Christian.

That’s my experience of speaking in tongues.

• 55. Anonymous  |  February 11, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Blindness is in the eyes of the beholder. ;) (I personally like to wear my sunglasses even at night 8) ). — And besides, … necromacy rocks, dude! :D

• 56. LeoPardus  |  February 11, 2009 at 2:03 pm

If I were looking for an X-man gift, I’d have gone forward and prayed for Phoenix’s powers. Or if that didn’t happen, I’d take Wolverine’s claws, senses, and healing factor as my fallback gifts. :)

Of course since someone brought up John MacArthur earlier, we KNOW from that all-wise, all-knowing master that “tongues ceased following the apostolic age and have NO PLACE in the church today!”

• 57. finallyhappy  |  February 11, 2009 at 2:18 pm

As a former YWAM’er myself, (Post 54) I used to dread with all my might the mornings we had intercessory prayer groups. We’d have to sit around in a group, pray, mostly in tongues, and then tell everyone where (what country) we felt god was telling us to focus on in prayer for that day. Try as I might, I don’t believe I ever heard god say anything, so I’d end up usually saying something similar to another’s choice–if someone said Asia, I’d say something like Chinese Youth.

Of course, I was never a very good YWAM’er and spent quite a bit of time being told I needed to mature spiritually. No wonder I’m finally happy!

• 58. SRK  |  February 11, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I feared intercessory morning too. It just did not made sense. Then I decided to suspend my disbelief in case I was missing out and that very morning God told me that Saddam Hussein was hiding in Budapest (this was when everyone was still looking for him). Imagine that! So of course I shared this and we all prayed that he would be found and justice would be served.

Sometimes I laugh at my naivety, sometimes I mourn the loss of those delusional years I can never get back.

• 59. Flaggy36  |  March 3, 2009 at 2:21 pm

From everything I have read, I am led to believe that each person should pray about what God specifically wants to show them regarding “tongues”. I believe that if you pray with an open mind, an open heart and an open ear for the voice of God, you will be led in the right direction. I understand this does not suit the self-proclaimed agnostic or atheist. But if you are at all interested in the Truth, pick up a Bible and study it. Personally, I was taught at an early age that “speaking in tongues” was “of the devil” and “crazy”. I feared it until God showed me that it was a gift that he was willing to bestow on me if I believed and asked Him for it. It was an experience that I could certainly not fake, nor woud I have any desire to.

• 60. LeoPardus  |  March 3, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Flaggy:

Up near the top, on the right side of the screen is a BIG, RED EXCLAMATION POINT and the words “Attention Christian Readers”. The reason for that is for you to read those first, so you don’t start off with insulting, condescending posts like yours.

• 61. Mo  |  December 27, 2009 at 2:28 am

Hello, I Pray that everyone who has commented on this page is doing well. In Acts 2 on the day of Pentecost the Gift of tongues was given to the Disciples in Verse 4 but if you keep reading a few verses down the Bible actually explains what it meant to have the Gift of tongues :) Verse 5-7 “And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven…the multitude came together, and were confounded, because every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, behold are not all these which speak Galileans? AND HOW HEAR WE EVERY MAN IN OUR OWN TONGUE, from where we were born? ” then it goes on to list a bunch of places with different languages from which all the crowd came.
    The gift of tongues was the Disciples speaking in their own native ‘tongue’ and having people who spoke a different language understand them. It wasnt noise and confusion but actually, just like the other spiritual gifts, the gift of tongue was to be a tool in the spreading of the Gospel. It was not a sign that they had the Holy Spirit but because they ‘had’ the spirit ‘he’ blessed them with the gift that ‘he’ decided they needed at that moment. The way we know that we have the spirit contrary to what I heard a lot was not making up words that I cant even understand myself, but by the Fruit of the Spirit which is Love, Joy, Patience, Peace…

For more on the true gift of tongues go here

God bless you all!!!

• 62. HeIsSailing  |  December 27, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Mo,
    Most of the commenters on this site don’t really care what Acts 2 has to say on the matter. We do not view the Bible as authoritative on questions like this, no matter how it may be interpreted.

• 63. Charles  |  August 26, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Carnal people will never understand Spiritual things. We must PRAY and study the WORD of GOD.

• 64. Charles  |  August 26, 2010 at 9:53 pm

RE:I’m an atheist and I can still speak in tongues. Don’t ask me what that means. Just sayin’. your possessed by a devil!!!!

• 65. prairie nymph  |  August 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I can still speak in tongues if I want to. I wanted to be given Russian, but was stuck with some unintelligable ‘tongues of angel’s’. Now I am aware that I actually do have control. Makes me wonder if all those people who were prophesying were aware they were the ones talking or if they truly believed it was God.

I was so shocked when my cousin told me that she just mumbled the alphabet while the elders were praying for her so they’d leave her alone. It had never occured to me that people might fake it!

Tongues was such a big part of our church teachings that we weren’t supposed to marry someone who couldn’t- it would be unequally yoked!

It was actually confusing to me that my fiancee couldn’t or wouldn’t and didn’t care to, and yet was a much better catch than all the rest of the ones at camp.

Yes, he does speak the other form ;)

• 66. Eve's Apple  |  August 27, 2010 at 9:24 pm

You know, I am kind of curious. In the Charismatic fellowship I attended,they taught that if a person stood up in public and uttered a “prophecy” in “tongues” someone else had to deliver an “interpretation.” I understand that there are Pentecostal churches that teach much the same thing.

Just curious.

• 67. Quester  |  August 28, 2010 at 2:15 am

PN,

It’s not always either or. I hoped I was praying in tongues while fearing I had retained control instead of surrendering to the Holy Spirit. Unless I could speak a language I did not know and someone else did, how could I tell?

EA,

That would be hilarious!

• 68. prairie nymph  |  August 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Quester- We were told most people spoke in the tongues of angels, not human languages. That way they couldn’t be verified either. And we were told that we had ultimate control because the Holy Spirit was a gentleman. Further blurring!

Eve’s Apple- My husband was telling me about a Hebrew speaking friend who went around to such churches and stood up and recited from the Psalms in Hebrew. Invariably someone would interpret, but he never got a correct interpretation.

I lived with a family in India and the patriarch said he had the gift of tongues. I saw him talk to many people and he told me that they spoke different languages but he understood. That seems a much better use than just translating in a church service.
    I have other friends who are gifted with languages and can understand Romanian and Portuguese because they know Spanish and French. Gift- yes! Supernatural gift? not sure.

• 69. Eve's Apple  |  August 28, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Prairie Nymph–that’s interesting about your Hebrew-speaking friend. Did he ever set them straight about the “interpretation?” And if so, what was the reaction? I have a feeling that no matter what he said, it wouldn’t make a difference, Once people have made up their minds, it is very hard to convince them otherwise.

However, it can be rather interesting. I knew an evangelical Christian who was always trying to convert me from my idolatrous Catholic ways. She happened to mention one time that “Ave Maria” was one of her favorite Christmas songs and wished she could find a translation. I said, “Oh, that’s easy. That is simply the ‘Hail Mary’ prayer in Latin.” Oh was she ever horrified! I was sorry to ruin it for her in one way but in another I was not, given her antipathy for things Catholic.

• 70. prairie nymph  |  August 29, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I doubt the Jewish friend said anything to anyone in the churches – I’ll have to double check.

My Catholic abuela once graciously told me that she personally believed I would go to heaven even if not Catholic. Coming from a a church that doubted the salvation of the Catholics and the mainline Protestants, I found her attitude was very refreshing. (Although she did instruct me to put pictures of guys under my pillows and light candles to I-forget-which saint so I’d know who I’d marry)

• 71. prairie nymph  |  August 30, 2010 at 5:11 pm

ok- the hebrew seaking guy actually did have one person correctly interpret what he said. He talked to the person afterwards to make sure that they did not know the language- they did not.

• 72. SnugglyBuffalo  |  August 31, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Assuming the person wasn’t lying. It’s also possible the person had heard that particular Psalm in Hebrew before, along with knowing it’s English equivalent; he wouldn’t even have to be consciously aware of it.

Or it could just be luck; one guy getting the right interpretation isn’t all that surprising, especially since most people trying to interpret are going to try to match their interpretations up with stuff they know from the Bible. Did the person get the exact, verbatim interpretation, or was it just a “good enough” approximation? I’d be much more impressed if this were a controlled study instead of an anecdote.

• 73. prairie nymph  |  September 2, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I wasn’t trying to prove it happened. I was replying to Eve’s Apple:

“My question is, what would happen if someone stood up and recited “There is no God but God and Muhammad is His Prophet” in Arabic in such a setting? Or any other non-Christian profession of faith in a language not likely to be known by the congregation? Would they be “exposed” by the “Holy Spirit” or would it be “business as usual, Praise the Lord?” Has anyone tried it and what happened?”

Of course, someone quoting the bible is much more likely to be interpretted correctly than an anti-Christian message- a matter of time perhaps. I had actually forgotten anyone got it right.

• 74. Anonymous  |  August 25, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Well, I’ll try the church at Megiddo, its mosaics don’t look like Eastern Orthodox churches or Roman Catholics churches. It might have been built in the 3rd century. No mention of a saint. One of the inscriptions is to the God Jesus Christ and has two fishes- the old symbol for Jesus Christ. Floor mosaics that No Apse or facing east in the church like early Eastern or oriental orthodox churches. Anyways, there were still Montantists churches up to the 6th century and according to some sources they may have spoken in tongues.

• 75. Bender  |  December 11, 2013 at 6:22 am

You have to first be baptized in the Holy Spirit and have the gift of speaking in tongues imparted to you and they it will just eventually happen. It’s SO important and so strengthening to speak in tongues. Satan can’t understand it either.. It’s purely between you and God.

• 76. Bender  |  December 11, 2013 at 6:22 am

Then*

• 77. plan cul gratuit  |  September 25, 2014 at 4:47 am

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?

Many thanks!