Jeezus – The American Jesus!

May 31, 2007 at 11:50 pm 13 comments

Click on the comic and maximize for a nice big view:

Jeezus

This cartoon is courtesy of www.thepaincomics.com

For once, I am speechless.

-HeIsSailing

Entry filed under: HeIsSailing. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , .

Apostasy – it’s not just for Christians anymore Who wrote the Bible?

• 1. Simen  |  June 1, 2007 at 7:07 am

I’m guessing “File not found” wasn’t what left you speechless.

• 2. agnosticatheist  |  June 1, 2007 at 7:09 am

Simen,

I kinda liked it :)

• 3. HeIsSailing  |  June 1, 2007 at 7:24 am

Yeah, I put this thing up last night and, like the real Jesus, it keeps miraculously dying and resurrecting.

It mysteriously landed intact in the atheism central tumbler.

• 4. agnosticatheist  |  June 1, 2007 at 8:26 am

They should have made the “nice” Jesus a little happier looking :)

• 5. Agnostic  |  June 1, 2007 at 10:34 am

If you were the “real” Jesus would you be smiling at the American Jesus? ;-)

• 6. brian t  |  June 1, 2007 at 10:45 am

That explains this nagging feeling I get when I see some modern Christians… I wish they would be a bit more Christian. 8)

• 7. agnosticatheist  |  June 1, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Agnostic,

Ok. I now get it :)

aA

• 8. societyvs  |  June 1, 2007 at 2:31 pm

I liked that cartoon – watch out Christians are going to burn down a newspaper building (Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh). Of course we won’t – it’s just a cartoon.

I think it makes a lot of sense and it speaks to the current Nationalizing and Markerting of Jesus in the past 30 years (or more).

• 9. Justin  |  June 1, 2007 at 4:47 pm

haha that is a great comic, and I couldn’t agree more…just like we do with everything, we have successfully “Americanized” Jesus and Christianity

• 10. Steelman  |  June 1, 2007 at 5:08 pm

I’ve been wondering; which denomination has the whitest Jesus? Within just a few days of each other, my house was visited by both the Mormons and the Jehovah’s Witnesses. They both left proselytizing propaganda cards with a picture of Jesus on them. The Mormons’ JC looked like a good, solid mid-western farm raised kind of guy, while the Jehovah’s Witnesses version was more of a Seattle grunge messiah. Personally, I think it’s hard to beat the kitschy, acrylic on black velvet Caucasian Christ I once beheld in a Church of the Nazarene foyer.

• 11. beepbeepitsme  |  June 1, 2007 at 9:55 pm

And there is always the “American Jesus” as sung by Bad Religion

• 12. Mike C  |  June 2, 2007 at 12:32 am

This is great! Thanks for sharing.

• 13. pastorofdisaster  |  June 2, 2007 at 5:22 pm