Freethinkers will save humanity

June 12, 2007 at 2:41 am 25 comments

FreethoughtI was recently browsing through the book “When God was a Woman” by Merlin Stone. In this book, Stone gives a historical view on how men initially gained control of society and began the journey of suppressing women’s rights. Stone explores what life was like in a society which worshiped a female creator and why later male religions fought to suppress that earlier worship. I can’t help but wonder how different this world would be if God continued to be a woman instead of becoming a male warrior God who committed atrocities to make Hitler and Saddam’s actions pale in comparison.

In a previous blog “Humans owe their long existence to women – not men”, StellarSays addressed the effects of women on the survival of humans:

According to anthropologist Robert Sussman of Washington University and co-author of the 2005 book “Man the Hunted,” early humans were more often prey than predators. The article says the evidence is in the “many fossils and skulls containing holes made by big cats and talon marks from raptors.”

So what does any of this have to do with the way women view themselves? Quite a lot actually. It seems that it was not the strength of the men and their hunting capabilities that allowed the human race to survive the dinosaurs and fierce prehistoric predators. Evidence now shows it was the social skills of humans and their ability to form cohesive groups – a trait traditionally accredited to women – as the reason humans survived and adapted over time to their present state.

From my perspective, the threat on humanity today is fundamentalist religions. The weapon to combat this threat is logic and reason. Since the worldview of freethinkers centers around logic and reason, I believe they will play a significant role in the survival of our species. As traits traditionally accredited to women helped early humans to survive, traits traditionally accredited to freethinkers will help humanity conquer our current fierce predator.

It is also encouraging to see many Christians applying reason and logic to their faith. I’ve enjoyed reading the blogs of open minded Christians who dare to question the religious sacred cows such as inerrancy. There is also a growing community of freethinkers in Islam. This gives me hope for our survival and the eradication of religious fanaticism from our world. Even though I consider myself to be de-converting, I do understand the rationale behind those who stay on the fringes with the hope of being a positive influence on the radicals.

Here’s to all the freethinkers! Let’s save our species together.

- The de-Convert

Entry filed under: The de-Convert. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , .

Gender Equity Evangelism at Its Best

• 1. Martha Mihaly  |  June 12, 2007 at 5:50 am

Hi,
    I am new to your blog, thanks for your thoughtful words.

I must agree that it would appear the root of much evil in the world seems to be the mis-interpretation of religious belief. Zealots of any kind will always be dangerous. As with anything, I suppose the conflict comes from literal interpretation/implementation of dogma.

• 2. HeIsSailing  |  June 12, 2007 at 5:52 am

AgnsoticAtheist sez:
    “From my perspective, the threat on humanity today is fundamentalist religions. ”

I agree, although the day may come when we again fight over resources and not just the threat of religious intolerance. But that is another topic altogether.

But for right now, I long for the day when nobody will ever receive the demand to “convert” to anything, by anyone, of any religion, ever again.

• 3. Martha Mihaly  |  June 12, 2007 at 6:10 am

Hi HelsSailing,
    I couldn’t agree more. It is my feeling the next HUGE contflict point will be the availablity of potable water.

• 4. Mike  |  June 12, 2007 at 9:35 am

In recent research I came upon an article on Blackwater. Blackwater is an actual standing mercenary army. It is often hired by corporations to protect private interests, but it is also used by the US government. The scary thing is that Blackwater is not only funded by influential people on the religious right (through investments), but is also supported by them. In a book written by a journalist who is investigating Blackwater the author cites that the religious right views Blackwater as a Christian/western army that is set to challenge Islamic facism. If open minded theists (which I would put myself in this group) along with atheists want to save this world we need to call for immediate oversight of a privatized army that is basically fighting for American corporations and the United States government. We need to stop what is quickly becoming a 21st century Crusade based in fundamentalist ideology.

• 5. mysteryofiniquity  |  June 12, 2007 at 10:46 am

Mike,
    Thanks for the heads-up! I’ve never heard of this group, but found more information here:

The stuff we don’t know….

• 6. mysteryofiniquity  |  June 12, 2007 at 10:48 am

And here:

• 7. agnosticatheist  |  June 12, 2007 at 11:41 am

Martha,

I am new to your blog, thanks for your thoughtful words.

Dig through the archives. There are great blogs by several different contributors.

Welcome!

aA

• 8. ethanmorris  |  June 12, 2007 at 11:43 am

very provocative.

I do consider myself open minded, but I am also aware of the dangers of following the new and sexy designer religions of our day.
    That being said, I was wondering what are the traits accredited to atheist and women?

Thanks

• 9. Mike  |  June 12, 2007 at 11:59 am

MoI,

Scary isn’t it?…

• 10. societyvs  |  June 12, 2007 at 12:03 pm

“Evidence now shows it was the social skills of humans and their ability to form cohesive groups – a trait traditionally accredited to women – as the reason humans survived and adapted over time to their present state.”

I love this quote because it pre-supposes women taught men how to be within groups? (am I correct this is the assumption). I think women bond better then men on some levels but there is no reason on the planet to even believe men did not create groups also – as a matter of survival of humans (ex: hunting parties).

“Here’s to all the freethinkers (atheists, agnostics, or open-minded theists)! Let’s save our species together.” (AA)

I agree with this – let’s save what we have been given. But as for us being a species I have to disagree with the title – we are humans and I do prefer that title.

• 11. agnosticatheist  |  June 12, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Hey Ethan,

Nice Blog!

Stellar1’s article focused on the social skills of women in developing a community while the men were out killing stuff (for food, of course!)

My blog above focuses on logic and reason which is the basic underlying principle of atheism.

Of course, there are those who would disagree with this. Here’s a previous discussion on that subject:

aA

• 12. stellar1  |  June 12, 2007 at 12:11 pm

societyvs,

Here is a link to the article I quoted from Newsweek on this topic.

• 13. Sue Ann Edwards  |  June 12, 2007 at 1:34 pm

The survival of our species is assured with only 15% of current Humanity.

• 14. agnosticatheist  |  June 12, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Sue Ann,

Can you expand a bit on what you mean?

aA

• 15. Justin  |  June 12, 2007 at 1:49 pm

AA says: “From my perspective, the threat on humanity today is fundamentalist religions.”

I disagree. The threat is from close-minded individuals. That can take the form of a fundamentalist *insert religion here*, or an atheist. In either case, there is a lack of respect.

• 16. mysteryofiniquity  |  June 12, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Mike,
    How come none of this stuff about Blackwater is in the news? Oh, wait, stupid question.

• 17. salahudin  |  June 12, 2007 at 2:53 pm

Great article!

I would add that atheism (absence of religious/super natural beliefs) does not itself create the kind of philosophy one needs to become a force for positive change in the world.

While reason and logic tend to be used against religion, it has often happened that atheists have forgotten their use by succumbing to non-religious yet negative outlooks on life like authoritarianism, fascism, etc.

What we need to do to ensure our positive contribution to society is to establish a premise of love and harmony (as is written in your agnostic atheist wager), through which we embrace cold, hard reason and rationality.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is that an absence of religious beliefs by itself is not enough to ensure we become a positive force in the world.

That said, we cannot in good conscience, develop ethics for others, but only for ourselves. :)

• 18. Gavin  |  June 12, 2007 at 3:26 pm

You might find this guys post interesting. And by interesting I mean irritating… I had to leave him a comment as an outspoken freethinker.

• 19. Sue Ann Edwards  |  June 12, 2007 at 4:03 pm

Realistically, species survival depends on a sufficient gene pool. That sufficient gene pool to insure the survival of our species is currently 15% of our current population. That makes 85% of us expendable as concerns ‘saving the species’.

I question ‘saving whom from what’?

Because according to Quantum physics, the World is exactly as the World chooses to be.

Fear of death is what has been taught by religion. Fear of death is not a Love for Life and does not bring to us the Wisdom to support it.

Every moment is a Present, whether happy or sad. How grateful and appreciative are we of our Presents?

• 20. Karen  |  June 12, 2007 at 5:28 pm

Good points, salahudin. I agree with you!

• 21. tobeme  |  June 12, 2007 at 9:24 pm

I agree, free thinkers are who will ensure the survival of the human race. I do not agree that it will be any one group, such as atheist, Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc.

• [...] my previous blog “Atheists and other Freethinkers will save humanity“, Martha Mihaly made the following comment: I must agree that it would appear the root of [...]

• 23. dobby  |  June 13, 2007 at 8:26 am

Projecting the root of all evil onto interpretation is a falls reasoning. Religion has nothing to do with evil, it is a mere vessel for the incapacity of mankind to overcome his boxed thinking. The world will need more than reasoning to be saved. Replacing GOD with reason won’t help, reason can also lead to destructive actions (especially in human affairs). Example: Darwinism, in the minds of evil men in can lead to the reasoning of killing many people (I do believe in Darwinism).

What is really needed is an expansion and understanding of consciousness. So that mankind can evolve away from the action reaction state of mind in which most people live there lives.

Carl Jung

The a-bom is no threat to man, the psyche is the real threat

Jung on tape

• 24. Thorn  |  June 14, 2007 at 5:35 pm

To achieve any sort of influence on the survival of human kind, atheists would likely have to better start forming groups. Of course, this could be a bit like trying to form a club for dictators: everyone has their own ideas, and wants to lead. But yes, I do think that atheists can work well together, and see increasingly doing so in the future. After all, I think it is becoming pretty clear what tasks we need to take on. Until recently we could afford to just do our own thing, but I think the time has come where we need to look towards a unified effort for reason, for the sake of survival.

• 25. Nameless  |  August 13, 2007 at 7:13 pm

Hey everyone, I just find out this blog and the sentance said by The de-Convert is the only and I say only way to save humans from the ongoing religion clash and many other issue:”Here’s to all the freethinkers! Let’s save our species together”.

There as been all kind of religion community, etchnic community and yet it doesn’t help and will not help the current world crisis as long as we are divided and afraid of the unknow, it got to start somewhere.

There is a lot of free thinkers but they are not all united as the relgious group, most of them are divided, it is why we are weak at the moment if we can find a way to bind together and let our differences asside to work on the real issue: useless war, over population, pollution (we do have alternate technologie) coorporation taking over our rights, etc… we should start a strong community of free thinkers and really start creating plans and execute them because if we just chat about it it will just be to late…I myself think of creating a world wide coalition of freethinkers and more good we do arround more people will join us, more people will wake up and one day… we might be able to succeed this biggest challenge ever offered to mankind.

Let’s challenge our problems and work together we can’t always agree but we can always try our best !!!