The Journey of a De-converting or Skeptical Christian

June 19, 2007 at 10:14 am 12 comments

JourneyThere are many paths one can take on the journey out of Christian fundamentalism. There are many who create a non-Biblical form of liberal Christianity where God is redefined but keep the basic construct of Christianity intact. There are those who replace the worship of God with the worship of the Goddess or become witches (by the true definition of witch). There are others who become agnostics, humanists, atheists, or a variety of blendings of these different worldviews. Whatever path you choose, it’s never easy and it’s great to have the resources available to us on the internet.

This site is becoming a great resource for skeptical and deconverting Christians (for new readers to this blog, a great place to start is by reading our Top Posts). As our welcome message states:

For the most part, we believe the teachings of Judaism, Christianity, & Islam, based on the perceptions and myths of a nomadic ancient Middle Eastern tribe, should be viewed critically – as should the holy books of these religions. This blog attempts to critically, but respectfully, address issues with these religious ideologies, especially Christianity. If you are a skeptical, de-converting, or former Christian, you may find these discussions interesting.

Other sites you may want to check out are:

ExChristian.net
Debunking Christianity
Daylight Atheism

For those of you who enjoy participating in forums, XnForums is a great place to start.

Thanks to all of you who are now a part of our journey, and we’re honored to be a part of yours.

- The de-Convert

Entry filed under: The de-Convert. Tags: , , , , , , , .

2M Jews spent 40 years making an 11 day trip and left no evidence Christian Fun Facts: Heroes of the Faith

• 1. mysteryofiniquity  |  June 19, 2007 at 10:56 am

You didn’t know what you started when you invited us hooligans over for dinner! Great to be here and know you guys (sic) too!

• 2. agnosticatheist  |  June 19, 2007 at 1:39 pm

I’m hoping more hooligans will join the dinner party. I’ve enjoyed it.

I’m learning more about my former faith now than I ever did before (even in Bible College). I remember someone saying they read their Bible more now that they’ve deconverted than they did before. That’s pretty funny.

I am amazed that this is the 21st Century and we’re still teaching these ancient Jewish myths as truth when so many others have fallen on the “myth heap.” Why do you think that is?

aA

• 3. mysteryofiniquity  |  June 19, 2007 at 2:45 pm

aA,

It’s a pretty powerful myth, Christianity is. For some reason it speaks to a deep need in human beings: to dispel the fear of death. That’s all religion is about anyway, consoling ourselves with the myth of an afterlife. Without the afterlife, there is no need to be saved from anything. What would you be saved from and for?

• 4. pastorofdisaster  |  June 19, 2007 at 4:45 pm

The de-Convert,

You are doing a great thing by getting this information out. We have dealt with so many people that have left fundamentalism, only to return with twice the urgency. We have also dealt with those who have mentally cracked under the absurd pressure.

Aa,

Which Bible college did you attend? I am a Moody alumni myself.

Mystery- I’m not sure that the myth or myths are primarily dealing with human’s fear of death. I will think about that. The Jewish tradition does not really have a heaven.

• 5. mysteryofiniquity  |  June 19, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Pastor,
    Well, ok, union with God as afterlife is more precisely what I mean. Aren’t religious rituals primarily meant to move us from birth to death in a Godward direction?

• 6. Justin  |  June 19, 2007 at 9:43 pm

as a Christian, I couldn’t agree more – let’s move away from fundamentalism!

• 7. Karen  |  June 20, 2007 at 11:41 am

Thanks for hosting us. I was looking for a site like this for quite a while and am very glad to have found it! I think you strike just the right tone and attract a great mix of contributors and commenters.

• 8. pastorofdisaster  |  June 20, 2007 at 1:07 pm

Mystery,

Afterlife has a sort of eschatological ring. An obsession with evangelical, but I am not sure if it is with all of us. I am also not sure that is a constant with all world religions at all times. Some xians (that stream back to earliest followers) believe that our soteriological function was to become fully human. This is a minority view in the church. Buddhists like Thich Nhat Hahn meditate on the “present moment, beautiful moment.” As I said before the earliest Jewish myths speak scantly (if at all) of an afterlife and are made up of laws on how to live concretely in the world. These laws were meant to create a living covenant with God. There are not many promises of an afterlife involved.

That doesn’t mean that rituals and religious customs don’t exist to facilitate an understanding of death, but I think the sociology of religion is too complex to reduce it to that broad a stroke.

Yet, I am compelled to explore the relationship between a fear of death and a person’s beliefs or lack thereof. You have sparked a lot of thoughts in my mind. Thanks.

Your question is interesting. I think more of moving toward a more human direction, but I know that is not the normative religious answer.

• 9. Samanthamj  |  June 21, 2007 at 2:13 am

I love this site. Interesting… and helpful for a lost soul like me. (happily lost, I might add!) The comments on this thread are a perfect example. Nice turn.

I tend to think that mankind’s belief in God… or gods… in whatever format, are a way for people to not only feel better about death and the afterlife… but, to also feel more in control of things they can’t control in this life. (ex. “Lets pray to the valcano god so it doesn’t explode and kill us! Better yet, throw in a virgin for good measure!”… or “Pray for rain!”.. “God help us win our football game!”) Also, attempts to understand what they can’t understand. You know, all those tough questions that we like to torture ourselves over… Not just death, but, also creation, the meaning of life, and the dreaded. “where’s my other sock?” ;)
    ~smj

• 10. GM918  |  January 27, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Pathetic. More anti-Evangelical irrationality. There’s more to Christianity than born-agains and fundamentalists.

• 11. GM918  |  January 27, 2011 at 11:04 pm

What is it, Christians are afraid of death because of the possibility of hell, or not afraid of death?

Good old secular web. The voice of reason.

• 12. Ubi Dubium  |  January 29, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Not according to the born-agains and fundamentalists!