Video Clip – The Adventures of Mark Twain

November 24, 2007 at 10:50 am 15 comments

I stumbled onto this video that I thought De-conversion readers would enjoy. It is a clip from the 1985 G-rated movie The Adventures of Mark Twain, which tells some of Twain’s lesser known tales with clay animation. This clip, where Tom, Huck and Becky meet a mysterious stranger is disturbing, dark and beautiful animation.

As always, I am interested in your thoughts.

-HeIsSailing

Entry filed under: HeIsSailing. Tags: , , , , , .

Reactions to truth Manipulating Others Into the Kingdom

• 1. Stewart Paterson  |  November 24, 2007 at 11:36 am

He said he was an angel called Satan, but he was, of course, god.
    When Huck says “You murdered ‘em” I was expecting the response “but I gave them life”
    It made me think of the “who is the pot to criticise the potter” analogies

• 2. Thinking Ape  |  November 24, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Clemens (Twain), along with Emerson and Shelley, was probably one of the most powerful gnostic writers of the 19th century. This little clip definitely captures the mood along with a healthy dose of gnostic mythology. It is apparent why gnosticism had such a following throughout the centuries.

I highly recommend Eric G. Wilson’s “Secret Cinema: Gnostic Vision in Film” for anyone interested in how gnosticism has continued to influence our culture (whether it be in our imaginations or our “Christian” religion).

• 3. lostgirlfound  |  November 24, 2007 at 1:23 pm

Sheesh … I don’t think I’d show my younger children that movie!

• 4. falldog  |  November 24, 2007 at 5:12 pm

I saw the excerpt on YouTube a while back, and made a point of finding and watching the whole. Each child being different, a suitable ‘across the board’ age is likely to miss a lot of marks, but I don’t see why this should be kept away from most children aged 8+.

Banned? Ehhh, the release of Sesame Street’s first season on DVD comes with a “These early Sesame Street episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child” warning. Sure, sure, times change, but it seems that we’ve gone from raising children that can cope, think, and imagine, to raising Humpty Dumpties that fall off their wall every time mommy, daddy and society isn’t there to hold and protect.

• 5. HeIsSailing  |  November 25, 2007 at 2:01 am

Stewart Patterson says:

He said he was an angel called Satan, but he was, of course, god.

I am not so sure. I think it really is supposed to be Satan, but …. not just the kind of Satan you and I are familiar with. I have been spending the afternoon reading Twain’s original ‘Mysterious Stranger’, published posthumously. Check it out – it is really great reading:

• 6. Saifuddin  |  November 25, 2007 at 10:47 pm

BismillaharRahmanirRahim

as-salaamu ‘alaikum (May God’s Peace be upon you all). This is an interesting film… though it was kind of creepy.

• 7. loopyloo350  |  November 26, 2007 at 2:17 pm

paradoxal/ faith/ hope/ doubt/ denial/ belief/ disbelief/ choice/
    to pharaphrase Shakeshere “to believe or not to believe”. Fits you very well,yes? Most of us, truth be known.

• 8. mysteryofiniquity  |  November 27, 2007 at 12:26 pm

HIS,

I LOVE this video and I own it. I showed it to my kids when they were younger and they loved it too. I would recommend trying to find it and buying it for your library. It’s nothing short of brilliant. It gives claymation snippets of all of Twain’s best works within a Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer context. “The Diary of Adam and Eve” is worth the price of the video alone. It’s hard to find, but I found it online in an obscure video store. Highly recommended!

• 9. Thinking Ape  |  November 27, 2007 at 3:41 pm

I heavily recommend the Adam and Eve bit too – I couldn’t find the actual complete video anywhere but there are segments (such as this one, the Adam and Eve, and one on heaven) all over YouTube.

• 10. LaShawn  |  November 29, 2007 at 2:13 pm

I really enjoyed this video, and began reading parts of the book as well! It gives an interesting perspective on Satan that I didn’t have before. Instead of picturing him as someone who is intentionally bad, he seems more like he’s incapable of knowing his own faults. Thanks for sharing this :)

• 11. mike  |  April 15, 2008 at 5:46 pm

does anybody know where i can download this clip?? i was telling my english teacher about it and i wanna put it on myfake ipod and show it to her, if u know where email me@
    pyroreaper91@yahoo.com
    i probly wont be back here

• 12. Kyo  |  June 18, 2008 at 6:35 am

I would keep this away from kids, I have nothing against it but my younger sister showed this to me first after having nightmares for a week. Some kids just don`t scare easy but I would never recomend it as there are other more “wholesome” Cartoons or anime they would enjoy more.

• 13. matthew  |  July 9, 2008 at 9:33 pm

dont u get it, read ur bible, hes not suppose to be God, Satan was originally an Angel created by God who tried to overthrow God so was banished from heaven….

• 14. geo  |  July 17, 2009 at 8:14 pm

To tell you the truth that gave me a lot of thought even tho it is weird its still…idk it jsut gives something to think

• 15. Lia  |  May 24, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I used to hate this movie as a kid but i didnt know why til i watched it again last year…its really creepy!!

I also had a fear of claymations from this movie!!

I too have the video at home…