Why d-C? – The Bible Killed My Faith

May 31, 2008 at 11:59 pm 31 comments

This is the third installment of the series “Why do Christians de-convert?” in which I’m citing the primary reasons for de-conversion amongst the sample of the 117 de-conversion stories I read.

To date, we’ve discussed Why d-C? – Answer the damn question Mr. Priest! and Why d-C? – Logical Problems with the Dogma.

Billboards exhort us to “read your bible”, and perhaps it’s a good idea. For 10.63% of people in the sample, reading the bible was significant in ending their faith. For some de-convertees the bible demonstrated how little their present religion had to do with the holy text that it supposedly revered.

Consider one person’s experience when quite young:

I had to fill out a worksheet about what the teen-age Jesus did after he woke up in the morning, rolled up his mat (like a good fundamentalist child) and went out to help his father in the carpenter’s shop. When I went back to the bible and saw that no one knows what happened [in those years of Jesus' life].

A simple “learning” activity prompted the above Christian to question their faith. If the church was feeding them simple lies about the life of Jesus, what else could it be lying about? The very nature of biblical morality perhaps? Christians often promote the idea of the morality of our society being derived from the bible, and the ten commandment’s in particular. But this is the response one Christian had upon reading the old testament:

I had never read the Old Testament before this. Where was the loving God I had been brought up with? Why did these great prophets seem like nothing more than raving street corner lunatics? What was up with this racial supremacy?

Again this person was forced to doubt their beliefs, when they realised that their church’s teachings were not derived from god, or some holy book, but were instead socially and historically constructed.

The road signs, the evangelists and the preacher’s encourage people to “read your bible” to “hear the good news”, but what this leading cause of de-conversion demonstrates is that if for some reason a person wanders into the bible unguided, they might uncover some uncomfortable truths about their religion. There was no evidence in the de-conversion stories to indicate that atheists, or people promoting de-conversion led people to read the bible without their Christianity tinted glasses.

- Originally published by Kieran Bennett, reprinted with permission.

Entry filed under: KieranBennett. Tags: , , , , .

Interview with Rapture Ready! author Daniel Radosh “De-conversion is not possible since you were never converted”

• 1. Friar Zero  |  June 1, 2008 at 1:07 pm

I agree with many atheists past, the Bible is best argument for atheism.

• 2. TheNerd  |  June 1, 2008 at 2:55 pm

I have to agree to a degree, Friar, with one little edit: The Bible is the best argument for a-YHWH-ism. It really has no authority on any gods but the one it claims is the True God.

That being said, the Bible itself does a hell of a good job showing that the God of the Bible is a metaphor at best. No outside influence necessary.

• 3. Obi  |  June 1, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Indeed, the Bible is my go-to source when I need to show someone that Christianity should be lumped in with the ancient abandoned mythologies of old. Genesis is so chock full of bullocks that I don’t even have to turn many pages to get to my points!

• 4. Back home June 2008 « blueollie  |  June 1, 2008 at 9:37 pm

[...] What leads some away from theism? For me the journey started when I actually read the Bible. Evidently the Bible lead others away as well. [...]

• 5. Sandy  |  June 2, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I have to admit…one day I decided I was going to read the Bible…and what I found made me angry and didn’t make a lot of sense sometimes. I struggled with my faith for a few years after that before finally turning my back on it. I just couldn’t reconcile a loving, tender, understanding God who was also a racist, sexist, and homophobe…

• 6. Cthulhu  |  June 2, 2008 at 1:06 pm

uhh…amen…Sandy ;-) And he is also a homicidal maniac obsessed with sacrifices and male foreskins! More than a little creepy IMO…

• 7. Cthulhu  |  June 2, 2008 at 1:07 pm

and I can’t seem to spell blockquote correctly today…

• 8. Ibn Anwar  |  June 2, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Greetings,
    Yes, the Bible has killed the faiths of many.

• 9. Cthulhu  |  June 3, 2008 at 12:15 am

Ibn Anwar,

Yes – the bible, logic, reason and all the unfulfilled ‘tenets’ of faith in general. If a man were to renew the worship of Odin with the fervor of Christianity, he/she would be judged insane by today’s standards.

• 10. Yurka  |  June 5, 2008 at 8:37 pm

• 11. Obi  |  June 5, 2008 at 10:59 pm

Yurka said…
    “Jesus would agree – people should count the cost before converting. But this says nothing about the truth of Christianity, of course. The natural man hates God’s claims on his life. He hates the fact that his vile sins are a stench in the nostrils of the Almighty. It is that which causes them to be repelled by the Bible.”

Why do you reject the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Pathetic sinner.

• 12. The Apostate  |  June 5, 2008 at 11:29 pm

Yurka,

The natural man hates God’s claims on his life.

Where do you come up with this stuff?
    I bet you just love the stories of polygamy and rape, murder and incest, judgment and condemnation.
    I quite recognize my own flaws as a human being, but I try to concentrate on growing through them and learning from my mistakes rather than ignore my own by pointing a finger at everyone else.

Pharisee.

• [...] expected any other cause, perhaps aside from exposure to science. I thought that Christians who read the bible did so through the lens of the preachers words and were thus immune from realising it’s faults, [...]

• 14. Seeking Religion « Voicebox  |  June 8, 2008 at 7:47 pm

[...] I referenced de-conversion because of the third installment of “Why d-C?” This installment documents the loss of faith after reading the Bible, and [...]

• 15. Joshua  |  June 8, 2008 at 10:30 pm

This is silly. If you de-convert because you realize that your church doesn’t teach what the Bible teaches, then you’re not “de-converting” at all — you’re just becoming disillusioned. If your beliefs weren’t grounded in the Bible, how were you in any a way a Christian in the first place?

These “de-convertees” are nothing but people who used to be atheists pretending to worship God and then stopped pretending.

• 16. Joshua  |  June 8, 2008 at 10:33 pm

By the way, Old Testament prophets were indeed raving street corner lunatics. Amen. I would rather be a fool for God than a wise man for Satan (1 Corinthians 1:21-25).

Also, I can’t find anything in the Bible about racial supremacy. That’s something that’s been read into the Bible, but not read out of it.

• 17. LeoPardus  |  June 9, 2008 at 12:46 am

Gee. This is like the third, “you were never saved anyway” in the last day or two. Was someone running a special on this one at the “convenient categories to dismiss de-cons” boutique?

• 18. Joshua  |  June 9, 2008 at 9:18 am

According to the Biblical standard of salvation, they are not saved and never were. Mock that fact all you want, but nothing you can say will change it. You too are a lying whore, someone who says meaningless things and makes pointless jokes to get a laugh out of people.

• 19. LeoPardus  |  June 9, 2008 at 10:43 am

Joshua:

According to the Biblical standard of salvation

Now there’s a non-sequitur if ever I read one.

they are not saved and never were

Well, given that there’s no God, and the Bible is just a collection of myths from a primitive, nomadic people, it would indeed be correct to say that they were never saved. In fact no one is. There’s no one to save, and nothing to save from or to.

You too are a lying whore

Sorry, man, but I’m a dude. So I could be a whoremonger, but not a whore. …… or maybe a lying slag ?

Ah well, we all get laughs our own way. I make silly jokes, you make silly assertions. For my part, I prefer to get laughs from trying to be funny than to get them while trying to be serious. … I expect that last point will be lost on you.

Whoa! Just took a sec to look at your blog. I’ve seen some ugly souls, but you…. words fail me.

Go ahead and post your last mega-flame to me. I will henceforth ignore you.

• 20. Ubi Dubium  |  June 9, 2008 at 11:40 am

Ooooo – “disillusioned”. I like that word. Once many of us lived with the “illusion” that there is really a god, and now we have figured out that there isn’t, so we are “dis-illusioned”. Think I’ll use that again some time.

• 21. Joshua  |  June 9, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Go ahead and post your last mega-flame to me. I will henceforth ignore you.

Vengeance is God’s, not mine.

• 22. 7 Reasons why Christians de-convert « de-conversion  |  June 29, 2008 at 11:52 am

[...] Why d-C? (3) The Bible Killed My Faith [...]

• 23. Steve  |  July 6, 2008 at 10:47 am

I deconverted because I had thought through the Bible where there was such a God who claimed to be loving yet, he could have eliminated sin before the foundations of the earth at the fall of Lucifer and aviod the meat grinder we know as histroy and what we intimately know as life, yet he did not. Before you say “if he did such a thing, we would not have freedom of choice.”, I then say, if he is the God who holds the universe together and knows all things and can create anything He wants out of nothing, he could have simply spoken sin out of existence and created man with freedom of choice, if not, HE IS NOT GOD. Instead, the God of the Bible allowed all the blood and carnage of history and the simple mortality of us all. For what reason? The only thing that I could conclude is that the God of the Bible is either a blood thirsty, tyrannical, emotionally immature, sadistic being, or he does not exist.

Now, before you can say Christ was the answer to this mess, there is another example of the sadism of God. To even require such a sacrifice when Sin could have simply been spoken out of existence is just another act of sadism.

Also, when the Gospel is presented, it is a subtle or not so subtle form of extortion. If someone dies rejecting Christ and they go to Hell…..Hmmmm….that reminds me of the Mafia handing a person a contract and pointing a loaded gun to their head and then saying, “sign this contract and you get richer than your wildest dreams, don’t sign it and I pull the trigger.” I dare any Christians to refute me….I DARE YOU! So far, nobody has yet.

• 24. Tom  |  July 7, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Post 16:

The citation pretty much answers the many objections in the comment section. Paul is forthright in admitting that many people find Christianity foolish or objectionable, and he does not apologize.

#23:
    You imply that God is either not good or he is powerless to stop evil. You see evil; yet on what authority can you say that history’s atrocities are indeed evil? Who gave you that sense of morality and why should I agree with you that any evil has happened at all in history?

• 25. Joe  |  July 7, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Steve—-

After I read your post I thought what the heck is someone like Steve doing on this earth? As I thought upon you and if God had created you I could only come to one conclusion:

The only thing that I could conclude is that the God of the Bible is either a blood thirsty, tyrannical, emotionally immature, sadistic being, or he does not exist. But I know He exists, and Steve exists too. What an amazing thing.

I mean, why would God create someone who would say such things about himself? Why would God create a Steve? And I thought “God must indeed be extremely merciful and loving, long-suffering and caring, with a great sense of humor, and willing to endure all to redeem a person like Steve, who can only rail against him. What a wonderful God!!!

• 26. Joe  |  July 7, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Steve—

Seriously though, that argument has been used over and over and over again—-nothing new. They are the oldest questions in the world. Why is their evil? Why is there a devil? Why didn’t got just destroy evil? Why didn’t he just destroy the devil? God is sadistic. God must not know what he is doing. etc. etc. Your DARE is really nothing.

The answer is that we just don’t know the reasons. Yes—that’s all that I can say. We do not know the reasons because we are not God. We are finite—he is infinite. He is offering Steve eternal Life at no cost—is this the offer of a blood-thirsty God to Steve? Steve has the ability to just say “yes” and receive entrance into the New Jerusalem—if Steve is just willing to say “You know what? I don’t know the answers—I will one day though. Do I accuse God, or receive what he has for me?

It’s really that simple. You’ll spend the rest of your life complaining, railing and accusing God of all sorts of evils—-and get NOWHERE, because it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to know the answers. Or you can receive Christ, believe, and know that one day YOU WILL KNOW the answers to these questions, when God reveals them to his children in eternity.

• 27. Grant Dexter  |  July 11, 2008 at 11:45 pm

I’m with Joshua. If you accepted Christ on the basis of what you thought He said and then found out what He said was something else then you didn’t accept Christ on His terms. Seems fairly straightforward to me that many people would leave religious organisations who did not promote acceptance of Christ on His terms.

• 28. Grant Dexter  |  July 11, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Joe:

OUCH!

The reason God created man is because it pleased Him. The reason He did not eliminate evil with a word was because He wanted us to be able to choose. He wanted us to be able to choose Him.

God could have said “Let There Be No Sin”, but then we would have been robots programmed to act under a specific set of guidelines. I look at it this way. I love my wife. That means I do not lock her into the house every time I leave. I allow her the freedom to choose to love me back.

God then saw man had rejected Him. Thus His means of saving us was not to command, “Let There Be No More Sin”. Rather it was to show us our condition. He first showed us with the sacrifice of animals. Then He showed us with a global flood. Then He showed us with the law. Then He showed us with the ultimate sacrifice. He offers freedom and assured salvation. Every man is faced with a choice and the evidence to support such a choice.

Some will accept that offer, but not understand it and leave.
    Some will accept that offer, but then find something they like better.
    Some will accept that offer and stick with it.

• 29. The Apostate  |  July 12, 2008 at 1:14 am

Grant,

The reason God created man is because it pleased Him.

Hedonism: (noun) the pursuit of pleasure; self-indulgence (especially sensual)

YHWH was pleased at his naked creation. He was displeased when they covered up.
    Enough said. :D

• 30. Grant Dexter  |  July 12, 2008 at 3:03 am

Uh .. that’s one way of looking at it. I guess … :S

• 31. falemon  |  November 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm

After reading the bible for myself I became convinced the entire point of the bible was to turn people away from gods, and eventually from God.

I was an incredibly committed christian who was more committed than even the pastor’s own family. It wasn’t until I started reading the bible book for book, word for word, idea for idea, and made sure I had a firm grasp on all aspects of its message that I was able to work out what it was really intended to teach.

First it points out the folly of man, how easily we turn to superstition and worship things of no substance, how we blindly repeat redundant behaviours in spite of having a greater knowledge that that behaviour serves no purpose.

Of course we may never know the real reason they chose to write it, but the message I see throughout seems to suggest that it’s inspiration came from human beings who were quite enlightened, understood fallacy of presuming a deity to explain all things to us, and progressively took steps beginning with Moses, and then Jesus to put an end.

The bible and christianity is in some ways like an operating system for a mans mind, a platform to interpret the world. The christian operating system is coming to an end, but I don’t know if we’re still ready to denounce gods or a single God just yet as I believe a large portion of the population are likely to be born with brains that require it. Let’s all pray we can at least be rid of all the false “truths” at least. Agnosticism isn’t too bad of a thing, or even the idea that there might be a God (like the freemasons typically believe), but at least they can take it from the angle that “there’s a God but we have no communication with it”. And hopefully we will be beings that don’t need to be deceived because we have an OS that doesn’t require such massive lies.