Reasons why I de-converted and now consider myself an atheist
I would like to share with the d-C readers, the primary reasons why I de-converted and why I no longer have to consider what some mysterious, mythical, and hideously confusing god feels about me.
- Watching my religious mother and both aunts die of cancer, while begging Jesus/god to save them, and he did not. Not only that but I also worked in the pediatric ward of a cancer hospital in Houston and watched entire churches praying for god to save babies from cancer, and he did not.
- Knowing that between 1900 and 1999, more than 180 million “good” Christians and Jews died in wars begging, pleading and praying to god to spare their lives. And their imaginary god did not. I participated as a co-leader in a therapy program of former religious Jews (many of whom are now atheists) whose entire families were murdered by Nazis in WWII, who asked the same question – “where was god? Many came to the conclusion, that instead of believing a god was going to save and protect them from “evil,” they should have been preparing to save their own lives. Many had tremendous guilt and anger at being lied to since believing those lies resulted in false sense of security (god’s love, god’s protection, blah, blah, blah), which resulted in entire families going to the gas chamber because of their delusions.
- Watching the ongoing hypocrisy of the Christians, who cherry pick their way through the bible and do NOT obey god’s laws, such as more than 100 verses which says to “kill those who break god’s laws.”
- Realizing that the religious expect you to believe their religious gobbleygook without any proof, but if they were tried in a court of law for an alleged crime, they would be demanding that decisions of guilt NOT be made on “faith” but evidence and proof of their innocence.
- Knowing how insane religion really is. In fact, in brain scans of blood flow, Christians who are having “religious experiences,” have the same blood flow centered in the limbic (emotional) system as do drug addicts. Yes, religion is addictive.
- Reading the research on the activities of faith-based organizations in prisons and finding that felons who participate in religious, and faith-based programs, a) had poorer mental and emotional adjustments to prison life, b) committed more crimes in prison, and c) having a higher re-arrest rate by committing more crimes after they leave prison. It is also interesting to note that 95% of people in American prisons are Christians. Well, a fat lot of good that does.
- Reading the studies showing that not only does prayer not work, but can be in fact dangerouse for those in poor health. For example, individuals who were “prayed for” because of heart issues died sooner from secondary heart attacks (probably from stress) than a control group who neither knew about the study and were NOT the subject of prayer.
- Becoming aware that the Sunday Schools I attended as a child were nothing more than child abuse and indoctrination centers, where children are told that if they don’t “believe” they are going to hell and suffer eternal torture and damnation. Of course, little kids become hard-core acolytes in the same way as Hitler’s Youth were indoctrinated. How dare they!?
- Understanding that trillions of dollars are wasted on religion, which teaches magical mind states, that do not solve problems, stop poverty and in fact, have created more poverty in Africa by feeding the poor just enough to make them healthy enough to have more children without a birth control program to prevent future generations from starving in greater numbers. More children result in over population, which causes more poverty and massive starvation. But the “religious” do not care, as long as they get one more souls for Jesus. Nor have any religious organizations in Africa taught “safe sex,” treating women with respect, or done anything to prevent HIV/AIDS since sex outside of marriage is a taboo subject among the religious. So the combination of Christians teaching religious magic, that god will provide for them, save them, protect them, coupled by massive feeding programs without birth control creating overpopulation engaged in indiscriminate unprotected sex has helped to create a continent of tragedy. In some areas of Africa, 1 in 6 persons are afflicted with HIV/AIDS.
- Realizing that the bible is wrong about the sun revolving around the earth; the earth being flat with four corners, standing still in space, or the earth is a hollow ball; rabbits have cloven hooves; stars are actually lights shining down through holes in the ceiling of heaven; and heaven is like an upper floor and so many other idiotic statements. These issues made me think: If the bible is so wrong about such basic stuff, what else is the bible wrong about?
- Learning that many of the bible stories and Christian traditions are plagiarized from other religions – up to and including the fact, that Dec 25th is Apollo’s birthday, stolen and given to Jesus – and that many other bible stories have no outside proof. For example, there is no a shred of proof, not a pot shard, not a bone, nothing that 2 million Jews wandered around in the desert, or that Jews were slaves who built the pyramids.
- And finally, knowing from observations that once the religious become politically powerful enough, they will in fact create a theocratic dictatorship and truly follow “god’s laws” – probably including following the previously mentioned 100 verses in the bible that says to “kill those who disobey god’s laws” (including atheists). The most effective block that keeps the religious in check, are the secular laws put in place by Jefferson, Madison, Adams, Franklin, Wilson, and Washington – all of whom if you read their private papers were “functional atheists,” and knew the vagaries of religion in Europe. If the religious did not try to impose their beliefs on society and go on massive propaganda programs to discredit science, I would not give a damn what the religious said or did. However, they vote based on their beliefs and the enforcing of those beliefs and ergo are a danger to this planet – especially to women.
I could go on for hours but finally I “concluded” there was no god. I should clarify that I do not “believe” god does not exist, as the definition of “belief” to make statements as true in which there is no proof. I “know” there is no god based on “knowledge.” After looking for evidence throughout all 10,000 years of known history, 250 million years of geological history, and 6.5 billion years of cosmological history, there is NOT one single instance where something “divine” interrupted the laws of physics – which would prove there is a god.
I am on a campaign against all “religious,magical, and Utopian thinking” including those atheists who claim they are not religious and don’t believe in a god, but yet worship the state, and make gods and demi gods out of political persons and ideologies. If a particular political or social ideology does not work, then for an atheist to continue to “believe” and promote such ideologies, then makes them “Pseudo Atheists” who have just switched one religious belief for another. In my analysis, to be a “true atheist,” it means one does not live in the realm of any kind of magical religious belief but demands proof, evidence, and facts for all statements.
Having been an atheist now for about three years, I’ve never been so happy. Everything is so much clearer, organized, realistic, and I am in control. It is not god’s will but MY WILL that counts. I am in charge of my life, not an imaginary, invisible, non-existent god.
- Hugs, DeeVee (guest contributor)