Book Feature: Christian No More by Jeff Mark

October 14, 2008 at 11:59 pm 10 comments

This book is written primarily for Christians who are questioning their faith. It mixes a story of my own de-conversion with facts about the Bible that, in my opinion, basically show that the Bible cannot possibly be real; it couldn’t have been written or inspired by a god. I show how the Bible completely contradicts many known scientific facts, and I talk about similar ancient myths that clearly served as an influence for the old stories in the Bible.

I also talk about the theology of Hell and how Christianity works primarily to scare people into submission with the threat of Hell. I spend a good amount of time on this, as that’s usually the number one fear of people questioning religion. And I approach this one from many directions. First, I show that even believing Christians have little reason to believe in Hell, as the mentions are very few and vague in the Bible itself. But then I show how those few parts of the Bible are nothing more than rip-offs of other religions, and in turn cannot possibly be real. I logically and systematically break it all down and, in my opinion, leave little doubt that it’s all a big myth.

The goal of the book is basically to show that there’s absolutely no reason to be afraid. I show how the Bible isn’t true, and how that means Christianity in turn isn’t real. And at the end of the book I give tips on dealing with the emotional difficulties of letting go.  This site is mentioned in my book.

- Jeff Mark (Guest)

Entry filed under: ~Guest. Tags: , , , , .

Is Science just another religion? At what point am I no longer a Christian?

• 1. Peter Bassey  |  October 15, 2008 at 8:38 am

I’ll bet dear Jeff in all his believeing years (if it lasted that long) never once bothered to publish a book drawing others to join.But promptly he turns coat,dang it, he’s trumpeting his renegade nature from the rooftops.

To me Jeff your actions more support the faith you fled from than otherwise.It was long ago prophesied that many’s love would wax cold and they would fall from their first estate.You actually served a loving God who never arm-twisted you to proselyte on his behalf,but because Ol’ Slew-foot is calling the shots,see how rapidly you’ve fallen over yourself to attempt to swell the ranks of those in this world who are incontinent,self-willed,godless,despisers of those who are good,disobedient to parents/authority,and so forth?

Forgive my stupidity but I’d thought that Christianity taught men to be good and kind and merciful,qualities I nearly forgot this selfish,fierce,and deluded age despise and would rather give more ear to a faith that professes peace on one hand but suicide bombs on the other.And notice I wont be published nor will my post be brought to your attention because it is only okay with BBC to fill a blog with anti-Christian sentiments from top to bottom but never to let through a single word that says something different.So much for freedom of speech.Well,suit yourselves,but remember no amount of disparaging sentiments from people like you will sway me from the faith of Christ.And as for your crusade to reap more people away from the faith – what can I say but tallyho and good hunting sport.You’ll surely be amply rewarded by your new paymaster.

• 2. john t.  |  October 15, 2008 at 9:47 am

Peter B.

Did someone Sheit in your Cornflakes?? Oh no, I forgot, youre a Christian.

• 3. Mary B.  |  October 15, 2008 at 10:29 am

I read Jeff’s book, it was very good. I’ll tell him of your comments Peter B.

• 4. BigHouse  |  October 15, 2008 at 10:57 am

All the negativitiy in this town SUCKS!

-Rick Pitino, then head coach of Boston Celtics

• 5. escapingchristianity  |  October 15, 2008 at 11:14 am

Peter,

Although I never wrote a book encouraging people to join, like most Christians I verbally encouraged everybody I met. I can’t know for sure how many people joined Christianity due to my efforts, but I dare say it was a good bit.

“Ol’ Slew-foot is calling the shots”

Is that the devil? The devil doesn’t exist except in your mind. I don’t believe in either of the Christian gods — the good one “God” or the bad one “Satan”, any more than I believe in Zeus, Apollo, or Mithra. Do you believe in any of those? Why not?

“how rapidly you’ve fallen over yourself”

I did? The book’s doing pretty well, thank you very much. And look at all the attention it’s getting!

“good and kind and merciful,qualities I nearly forgot this selfish,fierce,and deluded age despise”

When you read my book, where did you see me saying I despise such qualities?

“suicide bombs on the other”

When you read my book, where did you see me saying that I support suicide bombers? (Incidentally, you don’t see atheist suicide bombers. Those are religious people.)

“So much for freedom of speech”

Freedom of speech doesn’t extend to a private party’s blog. But you’re free to do as I did: Write a book and publish it. Freedom of speech is alive and well in many countries of this world, including Great Britain, where I assume you live since you mentioned the BBC.

“And as for your crusade to reap more people away from the faith – what can I say but tallyho and good hunting sport”

Thank you for your support. So far it’s going quite well, thank you very much. I’ve helped a lot of people finally let go of the lies of Christianity, and they’re much happier today than they’ve ever been before, just as I am.

“You’ll surely be amply rewarded by your new paymaster.”

Well the Muslims say that you’ll be sent to eternal punishment. Who am I to believe? I’ll choose None of the Above.

Besides, I believe in being a good, loving, kind, compassionate person. I don’t have horns, nor do I partake in human sacrifice. Instead, I treat people as I would prefer to be treated. Ask anyone who knows me; I’m one of the nicest people they know. If you’re right and there’s a God who sends me to Hell for that, then I want nothing to do with such a God — but, more realistically, that just shows me that such a God isn’t real.

Jeff

• 6. Jim  |  October 16, 2008 at 3:33 am

Great retort Jeff, bravo

• 7. Mary B.  |  October 16, 2008 at 8:45 am

Excellent Jeff!

• 8. LeoPardus  |  October 16, 2008 at 9:48 am

Gee, Peter B sure did a great job of showing the bankruptcy of Christianity.

I especially like this comment of his:
    I’d thought that Christianity taught men to be good and kind and merciful

Yep. I’d thought so too. But thanks to Peter for showing us that’s not the case at all.

This next bit though:

really leaves me wondering what cave Peter is coming from. “BBC”????

No amount of angry, bad-tempered vitriol from people like you will sway anyone to the faith you claim. Quite the opposite in fact.

• 9. societyvs  |  October 16, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Firstly, I want to say kudo’s to Jeff Mark for getting a passion of his published – I think we all kind of feel proud of your achievement. I know that there is a lot of time, sweat, tears, and editing involved in the process – kudo’s to seeing it start to finish!

I am a Christian – so I will try my best to respond to some of Jeff’s stuff he has written in the intro paragraph – I think it is a great conversation to be having.

“This book is written primarily for Christians who are questioning their faith…in my opinion, basically show that the Bible cannot possibly be real; it couldn’t have been written or inspired by a god.” (Jeff)

That first line is quite the stretch of the imagination concerning Christians and questioning – it’s written for Christians that want to find verifiable good reasons to ‘walk away from their faith’. The goal of the book is to help Christians de-convert is it not (a process you are familiar with)? Since the answer to the questions are not open-ended – but closed.

“in my opinion, basically show that the Bible cannot possibly be real” (Jeff)

If the bible is not real and some Christian is questioning it’s legitimacy – when they read your book are they given a few options or only one? I have yet to read your book so I am not sure what possible avenue(s) they are given.

“I also talk about the theology of Hell and how Christianity works primarily to scare people into submission with the threat of Hell” (Jeff)

I agree – Evangelicalism has over-played it’s hand concerning this doctrine and how it’s used – I am not sure hell is a good doctrine either (it’s fear based and seems to not bring out the best in it’s adherents). I will likely enjoy reading this section since I am not sure about this doctrine of hell we see being used a lot of Christian doctrines (again mainly the more evangelical in nature).

“The goal of the book is basically to show that there’s absolutely no reason to be afraid. I show how the Bible isn’t true, and how that means Christianity in turn isn’t real” (Jeff)

(a) I doubt you really can prove the bible is ‘not true’ – that’s a tough one. Now not literal – maybe – some of it not being historically accurate – possibly – the use of some mythology – yes there is some – exagerration – yes – but not true – well that’s not going to really happen.

You can’t really prove some things for 100% certainty. I think you can cast a shadow of doubt on many things – but a thing like resurrection for example – how can you not prove that happened? Find some bones? A grave-site maybe? It’s just such a ludicrous thing to think it can be proven to be not true. I am with you when you think it never happens – I hear ya – I have never seen it – then again I have never seen a ‘ghost’ yet millions of people a year claim this phenomenon. You can’t really unprove something like that (call it a fake with 100% certainty).

(b) Christainty, unfortunate to many people, is real though. It’s a strange mix of Judaism and Greco-Roman thought – but it still exists – all over the planet – in some 1000+ varieties – for some 1900+ years. It’s a movement from some humble beginnings in Israel (namely Jerusalem) to the Roman Empire – to beyond those borders. If it is all predicated on a falsehoods and something meaningless – it sure has outlived its expiration date.

• 10. Anonymous  |  October 28, 2008 at 10:57 am

To societyvs — thanks for your well-thought-out comment.

First I want to address this:

“Isn’t true? What do you mean by that? Some pieces of that sentence can be seen as quite impractical to unreasonable. Real as in historical? Real as in true/actual? Real as in can help a person (perception)?”

I had to smile when I read that because you nailed something that was going through my mind. I wasn’t sure exactly how to phrase my thoughts there, and it comes up every time I talk about my book. So believe me, I understand your question. My urge is to say, “The Bible isn’t real.” But it is real. I have several here in my house and I can pick them up and see them and feel them. They exist. They’re real. But my focus is on Christianity, so perhaps I could say, “Christianity isn’t real.” But again, it really exists. There are billions of Christians, so we all certainly agree it’s real! What about its teachings? Well, same thing, the teachings really exist; and beyond that, we can all agree in what has become known as The Golden Rule (“do unto others…”). So I always hesitate how to phrase that, and you’re the first person who actually noticed that. So kudos back to you for catching that!

What I’m trying to say is that I don’t believe the spiritual concepts are real, that there’s no God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Satan, etc., nor do I believe many of the ancient stories really happened, like the story of Noah and the creation stories and what that. In other words, much of what they’re teaching us in church that is taken for fact isn’t actually fact. That’s my claim.

As for proving whether these things are real, I try to present a strong case that it isn’t, and I try to avoid the word “prove.” Rather, I present the evidence that has been shared with me. And from there I allow the reader to make up his or her mind.

And you said this:

“I will likely enjoy reading this section since I am not sure about this doctrine of hell we see being used a lot of Christian doctrines”

One thing that surprises me is that I would think a lot of Christians would want to read this book — not to change their minds or to break away, but because it seems like they would want to know what’s going through the minds of people who are leaving. From their perspective, it seems they would want to know why people are leaving and what they can do to fix it. I know if I were still a Christian, I’d grab a book like this to see if I can make a positive change.

Jeff