If Marty Luther (re)wrote the Bible

October 18, 2008 at 10:35 am 5 comments

Just a humorous bit for those of us who remember trying to bend our minds around “sola fide”.

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity had not faith alone.

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works faith alone.

Acts 26:20 …..but showed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works have faith alone, meet for repentance.

Romans 2:6 God “will give to each person according to what he has done his faith alone.” 7To those who by persistence in doing good faith alone seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

2 Corinthians 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works faith alone.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works faith alone in, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them have faith in Christ alone.

2 Timothy 4:14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works lack of faith alone.

James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works faith alone, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 You see that his faith alone and not his actions were working together, and his faith alone was made complete by what he did itself.    24 You see that a person is justified not by what he does and not but by faith alone. 25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works faith alone, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? … [Whew! That one really took some fixing.]

Revelation 2:23 …and all the churches shall know that I am he which searches the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works faith alone. — 26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works faith alone unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations

Revelation 3:2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works faith alone perfect before God.

Rev. 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works faith in Jesus alone13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works faith in Jesus alone.

Man, who messed this thing up so bad?! Good thing I came along to straighten it out.

- LeoPardus

Entry filed under: LeoPardus. Tags: , , , .

The Psychology of Apologetics – Introduction The Psychology of Apologetics: Rebellion

• 1. TheDeeZone  |  October 18, 2008 at 1:19 pm

LOL.

• 2. Quester  |  October 19, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Well done, LP!

The more I realized that scripture clearly states several mutually contradictory guidelines for how one is saved, how one can know whether one is saved, what one is saved from, what one is saved for, and why any saving is necessary- the more it drove me straight up a wall! For me, this was the central part of Christianity, and there was no clear depiction of what it was, or how we should respond.

((BTW, I think you struck through a “not” that you meant to italicize, in the James quote, verse 24))

• 3. Derek  |  October 21, 2008 at 11:41 am

Cue the Christian who comes along to point out that works are necessary because they prove your faith to be genuine, and these passages obviously illustrate that point, and you’re just looking for contradictions because you don’t want the Bible to be true, in 5… 4… 3… 2…

• 4. Rover  |  October 21, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Well you know Derek works do prove your faith to be genuine and these passages illlustrate that point. I think you just looking for contradictions because you don’t want the Bible to be true.

• 5. BigHouse  |  October 21, 2008 at 5:17 pm

I think Rover made a funny…