Whacked Bible Contradictions: 6

November 6, 2009 at 4:41 pm 37 comments

So here’s ole YHWH, the Alzheimer god, forgetting what he said from one book to another.

The earth lasts forever:
-Psalm 78:69, “He built his sanctuary like the heights, like the earth that he established forever.”
-Ecclesiastes 1:4, “One generation passes away, and another generation comes: but the earth abides forever.”
The earth lasts forever, not:
-II Peter 3:10, “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.”
-Revelation 21:1, “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.”

And here he is forgetting what he said from one chapter to another.
Jeremiah 3:12, “For I am merciful, saith the Lord, and I will not keep anger forever.”
Jeremiah 17:4, “Ye have kindled a fire in mine anger, which shall burn forever.” How can his anger be forever if his anger isn’t forever?

And showing that the apple does not fall far from the tree, YHWH’s boy, JC, seems to be similarly absent-minded.
Hide it under a bushel? No!
Matthew 5:16, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”
Hide it under a bushel? Yes!
Matthew 6:1, “Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.”

And he seems to be confused about his job description too.
John 9:39, Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world,”
John 12:47, “For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it.”

And ya gotta wonder if the YHWH/JC family didn’t have some ‘issues’.
Love yer bro
1 John 4:20, If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates (μιση) his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.”
Love yer bro, not
Luke 14:26, “If anyone comes to me and does not hate (μισει) his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

And finally, here’s a question that ought to bug anyone who still thinks YHWH is such a great guy.
Around the time Jesus was born, Herod ordered the murder of innocent children (Matthew 2:16)
In the time of Moses, God killed the firstborn of every household in Egypt(Exodus 11:4-5).
How is God morally different from King Herod?

There are enough contradictions, examples of monstrous behavior by god and followers, and the like to fill a book. In fact they do fill a book; the bible. This series has just highlighted a small sampling. I’m going to leave off this series here. Hope y’all found it useful, fun, instructive, etc.

- LeoPardus

Entry filed under: LeoPardus. Tags: , , .

Whacked Bible Contradictions: 5 Life’s Value

• 1. stamati  |  November 6, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I like that last one especially. I really want to send this stuff to my friends…

• 2. Lucian  |  November 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm

As usual, I will address Your concerns.

Reagarding the first two, there seems to be primarily a matter of scale. In the first, there is also an idea of continuity and rebirth (not just scale); and in the second, it is clear that the eternal anger of Jer. 17:4 only lasted for 70 yrs. (the duration of the Babylonian captivity).

Regarding the third, which You’ve also mentioned in previious post on the same subject, the answer should be clear first from the Gospels themselves, and secondly from the lives of the Desert Fathers. Christ does, for instance, miracles in secret, telling those whom He cured not to tell anyone, yet they do it nonetheless. In the Pateric, the monks make everything possible to hide their holiness and good deeds, but God discloses them anyway. — the idea is to hide yourself, and not be a hypocrite, like the Pharisees, and if God wants to disclose You for the praise of His religion (and not for your own sake), He will instrument it.

Regarding the fourth, as well as others, a retired bishop and current abbot does it for me.

Regarding the fifth, we must love our fellow man not just as much as ourselves, but even more than that, sacrificing ourselves for them if necesary, just like Christ did for us (John 15:13). But when it comes to choose between the tears of our loved ones, imploring us not to die for the Lord in times of persecution, or to otherwise offer our lives to Him, we must love Christ more than the humans He created. (The expression used there is an Hebraism, meaning to prefer one over the other: St. Paul uses it also in Romans 9:13, for instance).

• 3. Mark  |  November 6, 2009 at 7:04 pm

The baby killing business is hard to accept though, I’ve never heard a good defence for that. Why would Egyptian families need a life time of suffering to pay for Pharaoh’s hard heart? Are there any historical (Egyptian sources) to support all this crazy stuff? Drawings or anything?

• 4. Joe  |  November 6, 2009 at 7:44 pm

From above:

Hide it under a bushel? Yes!

i really don’t see this as a contradiciton. One part is talking about letting your light shine before men—being forgiving, merciful, going the extra mile, etc.— while the other is speaking of “alms” such as donating money—-he means in that case no need to announce “I’m about to give $50.00 to the homeless shelter everyone!! Just thought you should know!!” LOL

• 5. LeoPardus  |  November 6, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Could be Joe. Several translations render the word as “deeds”, ” acts of righteousness” or like terms. So it’s not clear what the meaning would be.

• 6. paleale  |  November 6, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Again, I’m taken back to the question of why an Ultimate, Benign, and Loving Intelligence known to us as God and who wants us to believe in him/her/it can’t give us something more substantial to go on than a book about which no one can seem to agree and that is full of apparent contradictions (about which still no one can seem to agree), various historical traditions that can’t be substantiated without their interpretation of the book on which no one can agree, and then my favorite… faith.

There’s a brain bin by the door, folks. Just toss yours in there on your way to your seat.

• 7. anti-supernaturalist  |  November 9, 2009 at 5:10 pm

why waste your time?

The big-3 monster-theisms are important — not because they contain one word of truth — because they are widely believed to be true.

The methods for examining truth claims are not the ones needed for debunking belief claims. They are different worlds of discourse. Truth claims require evidence; belief claims require none.

There probably is no single explanation for the persistence of religionists’ “willing suspension of disbelief.”

But, none is supernatural.

the anti_supernaturalist

• 8. Joe  |  November 16, 2009 at 5:01 pm

You are officially the dumbest person I have ever make a blog… Your stuff makes no sense, I am not even a Christian but reading your stuff makes me feel like I waisted a few minutes as well as could possibly feel a slight bit retarted now due to your lack of knowledge! Thanks man

• 9. Joe  |  November 16, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I just have to point out that the Joe listed in #8 is a different Joe than me. I am not prone to write sentences such as:

“You are officially the dumbest person I have ever make a blog..” as I did attend High School. I just wanted to point that out. :>)

• 10. Ubi Dubium  |  November 16, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Thank you, Joe. Perhaps you should select an avatar, so that we can tell you from any impostor Joe’s out there.

• 11. Joe  |  November 16, 2009 at 6:40 pm

How do you choose an Avatar? And if I do choose one how can I be sure it is not an impostor avatar? :>)

• 12. LeoPardus  |  November 16, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Joe:

To choose an avatar, go to the top left corner of this page and click on ‘My Account'; from the drop down menu select ‘Edit Profile’. The page that brings up should have a place in the corner to put an avatar (it may say ‘gravatar’). You can select one from the choices BlogPress gives you, or you can upload something from your own files.

• 13. atomicgumbo  |  November 17, 2009 at 12:27 am

thanks on the tip for choosing an avatar, Leo. Turns out I didn’t even have a WordPress account. But I do now and yeehaw, I have a new name everybody.

The artist formerly known as PaleAle

• 14. Joe  |  November 17, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Leo–

Not sure why, but when I go to the top left of the screen there isn’t a place saying “my account”. Is it because I don’t have a WordPress account like Paleale said above?

• 15. LeoPardus  |  November 17, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Joe:

Most likely that is the case. If you don’t log in here, then you don’t have an account. That being the case, go to the bottom of the page and click on ‘Blog at WordPress.com’ and follow directions to create an account.

• 16. Tulapreacher  |  November 23, 2009 at 10:15 am

The Hebrew word translated forever, is not literally “eternity.” It is defined as time, long, extended amounts, Jesus came to judge the sin of human kind, not the person. By death He paid the cost for sin. In Luke 14, Jesus does state that those who do not hate “family” is not worthy to follow Him. But studying the Greek text will show that Christ is speaking to the people about putting God above all other. It is not referring to literal hatred for another. It means we, as followers, should be willing to leave all to follow. Now, if we “Christians” were perfect, we would not place anything above God. But we are not perfect. We do the best we can and like everyone we sometimes fail.

• 17. LeoPardus  |  November 23, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Assuming Tula is just another drive by. No point wasting time.

• 18. Tulapreacher  |  November 23, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Tula is small, no doubt. Blink and you would miss it. Do you truly believe it is a waste of time to research the original texts for true meaning. Translations are sometimes misleading.

• 19. LeoPardus  |  November 23, 2009 at 2:20 pm

OK. You did not just drive by. Good.
    FIrst let me give you just a little background on the folks around here.
    There is a big, red exclamation point far up on the right side of the site page. Reading those linked articles would save you from making some wrong assumptions.
    Many of us, in fact I think most of us here, have studied the original languages to some extent. We have a couple ex-pastors and Bible college students. More than a few former apologists. All of us have read the Bible many times. Many of us have led Bible studies.
    In short, we know the Bible very well.

Now then, to your claims. Psalm 78:69. Hebrew term here rendered ‘forever’ is ‘aiwn aion’, which is defined as “for ever, an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity” So you’re just flat out wrong here.

In 1 John 4:20 and Luke 14:26 I put the Greek words in parentheses. [Which is another indication of just how much attention you paid. You tell me I should research the original texts and miss the fact that I already had put original language terms in my examples. Do your really pay attention?] Anyway, the terms mean ‘hate’. There’s no quibbling there. OK. You can claim it was hyperbole. Then it just becomes your claim. Based on what? Nothing. It just happens to fit with how you’d like things to be.

Jesus came to judge the sin of human kind, not the person.

Not that this sentence makes a lot of sense, but at any rate where the heck do you even get it from? Read your silly, Hebrew mythology book. In it you’ll find Jesus directly condemning Pharisees, money changers, and more. Pretty personal.

By death He paid the cost for sin.

Let’s see now. God became a human so he could sacrifice himself to himself, to satisfy a rule he made himself. Yeah. This makes sense.
    Ya know, I’m just a limited human. Not infinite in love and forgiveness. Yet I can just say, “OK. I forgive you.” I don’t need you to kill your prize cow, nor do I need to shoot my own foot. Too bad your ancient, tribal war god can’t do as well.

• 20. Tulapreacher  |  November 23, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Very good. I did see your greek in you posts by the way. Unfotunately I do not have the luxury of seeing the articles you mentioned. Perhaps we use differnt study tools, I get a different view when I translate, but hey I only have a BA in Biblical Studies. Could not afford a masters. But that is what healthy debate is about. Correct? Sharing differences of opinions.Perhaps I over spiritualized a little. But it makes for good reading.

• 21. Quester  |  November 24, 2009 at 12:37 am

But it makes for good reading.

It might, if you had anything to say.

• 22. Tulapreacher  |  November 24, 2009 at 8:13 am

Your stupidity is only matched by your arogance. Fyi, genius. “For ever” is translated from (o-lawm). “Aiwn aion” is an unspecified amount of time. “Aion” is an idiomatic expression specific to Hebrew. Maybe you have ex-pastors on your crew, ex being the key word. I know many who have read the Bible but don’t get it. You fit in that category. On the day of judgment, you be sure you tell my “tribal God,” as you call Him, your excuse and let us see if it makes a difference in your destination.

• 23. Ubi Dubium  |  November 24, 2009 at 9:24 am

Oh, look, he’s sharing his christian love with us!

You’ve come to our blog and showed us how superior your religion is by calling us stupid, arrogant, and threatening us with hell. How nice.

Our ex-pastors did “get it”. They read the whole bible, not just the nice bits, and they understood it. That’s why they’re EX-pastors now.

• 24. Tulapreacher  |  November 24, 2009 at 9:46 am

Your right. It is not my place to judge anyone. Sorry to you all for letting my anger get the best of me.

• 25. LeoPardus  |  November 24, 2009 at 12:48 pm

No Tula child. It was your religion that got the better of you. Read your mythology book and see.

Jesus is so loving that he whipped people and kicked over tables; that he called people names for disagreeing with him; that he withers fig trees for not having figs in the off season; and so on.

Nah Tula. You’re following the maxim very well. WWJD. Keep it up. You too can be a total asshole, just like your God.

Who knows? Maybe someday you’ll kill an innocent baby for someone else’s sin.

• 26. Joe  |  November 24, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Tula—

It is always good to remember the following set of verses:

“As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem. And he sent messengers on ahead, who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him; but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem. When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, “Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?” But Jesus turned and rebuked them, and they went to another village” (Luke 9:51-56)

Jesus indeed rebuked the Pharisees harshly for their hypocrisy, and whipped and overturned the tables in the temple for the same reason, but he also rebuked his own disciples for wishing judgment on others.

Another person recently made a comment “I can’t wait to see you in Heaven” as though cherishing the thought of being able to say “I told you so!!” But Christians are not to be of that spirit at all as we can see in the rebuke that Jesus gives to John and James above.

• 27. Joe  |  November 24, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Correction: the person said “I can’t wait to see you at the judgment” as though relishing the thought of seeing someone judged eternally.

• 28. Roy  |  November 24, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Joe,

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

Well done.

I think Tula repented adequately and should be forgiven.

Robert

• 29. Roy  |  November 24, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Oops, now we all know my real name. :)

• 30. Joe  |  November 24, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Roy/Robert—

“A double minded man is unstable in all his ways” :)

• 31. Roy  |  November 24, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Yeah, Joe, like Saul/Paul. Change a mind here, change a letter there. :)

Incidently, there is a cocktail named after me.

As information, my intials are ROI, so I altered them slightly to Roy.

• 32. Joe  |  November 24, 2009 at 4:18 pm

There is a cup of coffee named after me, as in “a cup of Joe”

Can’t claim cocktail fame. :)

• 33. Joshua  |  November 24, 2009 at 6:46 pm

There is a Bible character named after me. Jesus. I have you all beat.

• 34. atomicgumbo  |  November 24, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Damn. I’m just a little nail.

Brad

• 35. David  |  November 29, 2009 at 4:51 pm

From the previous discussions and disagreements on interpretation isnt it obvious that whenever the bible is read there are a myriad of differing and opposite interpretations. therefore God is a lousy communicator – therefore God is not perfect – therefore God does not exist. Simple huh?

• 36. whobyfire  |  December 17, 2009 at 5:11 am

I’d like to thank Leo for the advice on obtaining an avatar. I now have a WordPress account, and now, the sometimes commentator “Montym” is now known as “WhoByFire”. I’ve been coming here off and on for a year. Slow learner I guess.

• 37. 4riozs  |  December 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Sounds like “yahweh” has a serious case of bipolar- he “never changes either” lol- Nice post.