Good news

December 29, 2009 at 1:35 pm 10 comments

These newly released Gallup poll results show wonderful trends. Pass this info on to other de-con, atheist/agnostic sites by way of saying “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year” to them all.

Religion is out of date

Entry filed under: LeoPardus. Tags: .

Salvaging Santa The Non-Answers: God, Satan, and Sin

• 1. The de-Convert  |  December 29, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Leo,

It took 20 years to go from 82% Christian to 78% Christian. That’s ONLY 4%. Maybe we need to start evangelizing more :)

Paul

• 2. amy  |  December 29, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Yikes. I agree with Paul. That’s all the change in 20 years?

Once you see the light it’s discouraging to see so many with their heads still stuck in the sand.

• 3. LeoPardus  |  December 30, 2009 at 1:55 am

60 years ago it was 91%
    20 years ago it was 82%
    10 years ago it was 84% (Hmm. Setback?)
    Now it’s 78%

Overall 13% progress in 60 years. So it would take about another 5 or 6 lifetimes to really get the job done. Yep. Slow progress. But then humans are recalcitrant creatures. And certainly not a rational species by and large.

• 4. Scott  |  December 30, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Until people are willing to think, we can’t expect much progress.

People are inherently lazy and just don’t want to bother with trying to figure out something as complicated as religious belief.

• 5. breakerslion  |  January 3, 2010 at 11:13 am

Leopardus said, “10 years ago it was 84% (Hmm. Setback?)”

Yes. Superstitious fear of AIDS, worked like a gold mine by the unscrupulous, and trickle-down benefits from the meme enjoyed by the mainstream religious machines as well.

Christianity has been out of date for at least 1009 years, but that hasn’t slowed it down much, has it? Or, as I like to put it,

“Duh, don’t you worry.
    Never fear.
    Jesus Christ will soon be here.
    He’ll punish those that I do hate,
    And take me with him,
    Just you wait!”

• 6. Notachurchgoer  |  January 25, 2010 at 5:01 pm

The slow decline is due to familiy generations of Christian practice, from parents to children, children grow up and if they don’t question while in adulthood, they’ll pass it to thier children…It’s a cycle not easily broken but as technology and new knowledge of the universe increase, over time, the cycle will eventually start to subside. As may of you realized Christianity or the Christian religion is deeped seated within our nation, brought to us from europe and has been ingrained in our society; even before our independence. Again this is not an easily broken chain and not everyone is apt to change. Checkout that book, “The God Part of the Brain”, though I do not agree with all of the authors assertions, I do agree that folks are in need of some type out from the rigors of life and the knowlege of mortality so the brain may be hardwired to seek some type of religious, spritual connection causing the decline spoken of to be extremely slow.

• 7. Oscillate Wildly  |  July 29, 2010 at 12:52 am

LeoPardus,

Sorry that this doesn’t exactly relate to your post, but do you have an e-mail that I can contact you at? I can’t find one on this site. I feel as though I am going through a similar path as you and would like to talk to someone about it. I was a nominal Protestant/borderline agnostic in high school who became a more devout Protestant at 21 and found my way to the Eastern Orthodox Church shortly after (my family remained Protestant). I am now 26 and feel as though I am “deconverting” from religion/spirituality in general. Anyway, if you’re interested I would like to shoot some e-mails back and forth. Not sure if you’ll see this because this post is from 2009, but here’s hoping!

• 8. Ubi Dubium  |  July 29, 2010 at 9:30 am

I have not seen Leo around for awhile, but you could try signing up at the community site. (Link at the top right of the page). You could send him a private message there, or find someone else to talk to who has been through something similar.

• 9. leopardus  |  July 29, 2010 at 10:44 am

Hi OW.
    Ubi’s right. I haven’t been around since the end of ’09. Kinda moved on. But I do see replies to my old posts, so I saw this. I’d be happy to talk to you. Like Ubi suggested, go on over to the community site and find me there and send me a private message from there. Then we can back and forth all you like.

• 10. Joe  |  August 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Hi Leo—-

I visit here ane read from time to time, but haven’t posted for a while. I just wanted to say “hi” and hope all is well with you. I always enjoyed your posts, though I often didn’t agree with them. :)

Good to see you post again.